Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. M

    Did I make a mistake?

    I essentially built it like I was framing in a wall. I built a box out of 2x3's then I put in 2x3 studs every 15 inches topped off by a 1/2 inch peice of plywood screwed to the top. I thought I would be ok then I started reading posts where people were saying to build it out of no less than...
  2. M

    Sculptamold mixture

    I finally found some sculptamold at a local crafts store so I am about to try it out on my practice layout. My plan is to use it over the plaster paper mountains and to fill in around my plaster of paris rock molds. What mixture do you guys use? I was thinking 2 parts water to 1 part sculptamold.
  3. M

    Did I make a mistake?

    I just built all of my benchwork for my 16x13 O gauge layout. I did it all with 2x3 studs in an open grid configuration with 2x3 supports every 15 inches and 1/2 inch plywood on top. It seems sturdy as can be but should I have used 2x4's? The last thing I want to do is tear this all out and...
  4. M

    Advice or tips?

    Here is what I came up with. The room is basically 16 x 13. The elevation will rise as you move back from the yard so each loop will be slightly higher than the next. The outer loop has an over under winding through the mountains. The bottom is a crossover not an over under. The black lines...
  5. M

    Safety issues with airbrushing

    So I guess I am in the clear with acrylics? I am still going to take precautions either way but I want to be as safe as possible.
  6. M

    Safety issues with airbrushing

    GL, do you mix acrylics with water or alcohol?
  7. M

    Safety issues with airbrushing

    I am new to all of this so I have no experience. I just picked up an airbrush and I want to get started but I want to make sure I am being safe. I have a 2 year old and a wife that's 8 months pregnant. What paints/solvents should I stay away from?
  8. M

    Sculptamold, Hydrocal, Plaster of Paris?

    Can someone give a brief explanation as to when you would use these? I am about to embark on my first layout and I need some advice. From what I can tell, sculptamold is used mostly for terrain and hydrocal is mostly for molds? Also, my local craft stores don't carry sculptamold and all of...
  9. M

    Very first attempt at a layout

    I would like a long linear layout as well but I don't have the room yet. The Crossover was just a way to create a route to flip the train and run it the opposite direction. I admit I have very little direction as to what I am designing. I haven't ever done this before so I am trying to design...
  10. M

    Very first attempt at a layout

    What do you guys think? I have never done this before so I'm sure I have something wrong but I have no idea what it is :D The space is 16 feet by 13 feet and it is O scale. Also, there are 2 points that I need to insulate that I did not mark on here but I am aware of them.
  11. M

    Variable horn feature in the Legacy remote

    Is this feature available with a legacy remote and a TMCC engine or do you need both a Legacy controller and Legacy engine? I am having a hard time finding info on the difference between TMCC locomotives and Legacy locomotives. There is plenty of info about the controllers but not much about...
  12. M

    Just starting out (TMCC vs. Legacy)

    Thanks for the reply. I'm sure I will stay in it as I model for a hobby and have always had the desire but I have never had the time to model a railroad plus in the past my work moved me all over the country so it was difficult to take up a hobby that I could not pack in a box and take with me...
  13. M

    Just starting out (TMCC vs. Legacy)

    I'm just getting started with my model railroad and my local dealer suggested that I purchase a lionel set since it's a great value as opposed to purchasing it all seperately. The set he is recommending is TMCC ready. My question is, what were the major differences in the locomotives between...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top