Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. T

    My Layout - Work in Progress

    Jim - I probably will have the line come out of the tunnel in at least on place, but will have either an access panel on the side, or part of the area open from the bottom in case I get a derailment. Dumped the turntable and added the wye.
  2. T

    My Layout - Work in Progress

    The round house and the entire coal complex are on a hill/mountain. The mainline is underneath the coal complex. I fixed the picture, grades are calculated at 144.4 inches for a total of a 3.5 inch rise total which is 2.42% if I divided correctly.
  3. T

    My Layout - Work in Progress

    Had a chance to do some work on the track layout. I added passing sidings to the mill complex and coal mine area. I also tried to incorporate one on the mainline. I made the coal mine area on a hill which covers one of the turns. The grade is steeper than I wanted, but I think 2.5% is not too...
  4. T

    My Layout - Work in Progress

    Darrel - thanks for the in-depth analysis, which is very helpful. I'll take a look and see what I can do to make things run smoother and be a bit easier to work. I am rethinking the folded dog-bone and considering taking the fold out of it. I'll post a revision when I get time this week :) I...
  5. T

    My Layout - Work in Progress

    Thanks for the help :) I plan on leaving a 1 ft gap along the 14' wall and the 12" section. This is what I came up with this evening: I attempted to do some math and figure out some grades. Do they look right? Do most yards look like the one here? I have seen some people use...
  6. T

    My Layout - Work in Progress

    Hello everyone. After following advice from UP2CSX, I purchased John Armstrong's book Track Planning for Realistic Operation. I also ordered a Bachman DCC equipped GP-9, and was able to score a NCE 524025 Power Cab off of ebay for a nice price. I have read many threads here and gone over the...
  7. T

    What State do you live in?

    Ellettsville IN - Near Bloomington :)
  8. T

    Hello!

    I am thinking of going with Atlas code 83 track. I played around with a track layout program called Anyrail. I am interested in doing a layout that is in Model Railroader magazine. There is a special issue that has 102 layouts. Playing with it for a few hours, I tried to emulate what is in the...
  9. T

    Hello!

    After looking at some of the threads here on DCC, I am thinking about this system: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product_p/nce-524025.htm From the description, I understand it will handle 2 and maybe 3 trains. If I want to control more, it would be a good idea to buy an amp to handle the...
  10. T

    Hello!

    I have thought about opening it up, but am going to hold off in case I break the only working engine I have. Jim, I ordered John Armstrong's book Track Planning for Realistic Operation and it should be here next week. I have looked over the Beginner's Guide at the nmra site a couple of days...
  11. T

    Hello!

    Hello everyone! I am a new arrival and wanted to introduce myself to everyone :) My name is Thad and I am new to model railroading (sorta). My father and I had a HO layout when I was a kid way back in the 1970's. We had many fun hours playing with it. It was nothing fancy, but we really loved...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top