ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
E
When in Baltimore don't forget to visit Lexington Market for some of the best food in the world. Amazing selection. I haven't been there in a loooooong time, but I hope it's still as good as it was. Also Harborplace downtown, the "mall food" in Baltimore is better than the best seafood in...
-
E
It's certainly an impressive display, and enough money behind it that I don't think it has to keep going on the gate alone. Worth seeing especially if you have kids, although don't be too surprised if the little ones would rather go play with the pusharound Thomas than observe the monster...
-
E
The Atlas FP7 when it was introduced in the mid 1970s was quite a bit better looking than the ubiquitous Athearn, and it wasn't until the Stewarts came along in the mid-late 1980s that we had something better. But Stewart never did an FP7.
HO scale plastic FPs:
Atlas yellowbox - made by...
-
E
I have run wet track for decades and I would never go back to dry. There are some things to be aware of but the benefits outweigh the issues to where I'd never consider running dry track again - especially since I switched to DCC 13 years ago.
I don't use Wahl oil, although I was aware of it...
-
E
For some reason static train models have always been uncommon. The Big Boy and Hudson were originally done by Monogram in the 1980s and those were the first static models I had seen in a long time. In the 1950s Hobbyline produced some plastic static kits including a Nickel Plate Berkshire and...
-
E
There were a number of mergers planned that didn't happen, such as N&W + C&O. The EL and D&H were already owned or at least largely controlled by the N&W via Dereco up until Conrail.
Penn Central never happened? Hmm. First is what would have become of the New Haven? Would it have...
-
E
Originally published in 1964. I got it for Christmas in 72. It was one of the first books to really plug the airbrush, Paasche's H in particular. A lot of the stuff in it is obsolete now but it's still a pretty interesting read just on the history of the hobby. Lots of pics of brass locos...
-
E
How would this convert MR's proprietary format to PDF?
Andy
-
E
Probably, but I usually do the opposite. If you have some new Kato or near new Kato motors I'll trade you Athearn motors one for one..... Athearn motors as-is of course, but generally I replace them fairly quickly when I buy a new loco and want to add it to the fleet.
Andy
-
E
Magazines and VHS tapes you can't give away because the shipping will kill you. Why would anybody pay 5 bucks to ship a used VHS, when you can buy like new used DVD movies for a buck? There's a pawn shop at my exit that puts out racks and racks of $1 DVDs... the exit is on the way to a casino...
-
E
The Front Range nose was an interesting product for its time. It was designed specifically for the Bachmann shell, and not really designed for the correct brow. At that time - like the fan spacing issue - most people weren't aware of it. There are even some brass high nose GP30s out there...
-
-
E
I presume you are talking GP30 and wanting to convert a low nose phase 1 to a high nose?
Before the P2K high nose versions were released I did one that I high nosed and also converted it from a phase 2 to phase 1. After Proto did the low nose phase 1, I started on another one but the project...
-
E
Excuse the roller coaster roofwalk:
a little less heavy handed:
Andy
-
E
I bought direct from Exactrail when they released their first cars, as no dealers had them at the time. I also bought some undec 4427s direct, because those were made on a pre-order fill basis. Other than that, I bought pretty much everything else from a dealer - some local, some from Bob...
-
E
That's the key.
Speaking of rivet counting, I just made use of Archer rivet decals for the first time and it was a lot of fun. I changed a Branchline welded ACF 40' box car from an 8' door to a 9' door which necessitated building new door guides and frame, and I used several different...
-
E
In the exercise of free speech, there's bound to be some negativity, or at least something that someone might perceive as such. It's all a matter of perspective.
Andy
-
E
Interesting how I've now read the story of the Atlas forum closing in at least 10 different places. And read 10 different stories. I make no apology for my approximately 10 years as a regular. I think in the final tally I'm 10th on the list in terms of post count. I found it informative...
-
E
Here is some data:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiveThumbs.aspx?id=17100
Lots of N&W locos running short hood forward. A handful running long hood forward.
U30B running long hood forward:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1462989...
-
E
I use Scalecoat II basic black... not loco black, but the pure gloss black.
Andy
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)