Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. L

    asphalt roofing

    Ken, tell me you didn't take a picture of my train/tack building. I still have to get the wood stove vent ran though, and with the 6" of snow and the wind blowing it might be a while so I hear it from my wife about the buildings piling up in her sewing room. The tape and paint is a good idea for...
  2. L

    asphalt roofing

    spray roofing That's exactly what I was looking for in an answer. If the other colors in the black or gray was too much I was just going to look at a light coat of black over the top to tone it down. thanks guys Mike
  3. L

    What do you do for a living?

    Job history retired missile and explosive worker
  4. L

    What State do you live in?

    Home South central Oregon in the Goose Lake valley.
  5. L

    asphalt roofing

    I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried "Zonilite" paint, and if it looks like asphalt roofing. Rust-oleum brand has their line listed as "Stone". It comes in a small amount of colors. Or is there something other than this that someone is using that has a good representation for asphalt...
  6. L

    Hornby decoders?

    Hornby Hi Andrew Your very right. From what I was told the Highlander and the Mallard was only added to the museum around May of this year and we went there in July. So all I know of these two are the finish that's on them now. If you blow up the picture that I put on my last posting you...
  7. L

    Hornby decoders?

    Hornby Thanks Andrew That's what I was leaning towards was a water based poly. I was first going to try a rub on type of material that I use in lathe turning that is water based, it's very easy on what ever you put it on and it doesn't need to be rubbed out. The highlander is such a...
  8. L

    Hornby decoders?

    Hornby Andrew, it does sound like you have done a few. I have noticed that at one web site it shows two different factory installed boards that Hornby used but neither one matches the one I have on the Mallard. I am going to go with the TCS units on all of my Hornby units. It seems that Hornby...
  9. L

    Hornby decoders?

    Hornby Thanks Jim, for the web site. My wife and I spent a few weeks in the UK this past July and we went to the RR museum while in York. And as a retired street and custom car builder one look at the Royal Highlander and the Mallard and that was all it took. It took some time but I found the...
  10. L

    Hornby decoders?

    For those of you that are up on Hornby loco's and decoders I could use some help. I have a R396 class J13 0-6-0, an R066 class 7P 4-6-2, and an R309 class A4 Mallard. They were made about 1980 and depending on what decoder list you look at you can get a different idea of what is needed. Also I...
  11. L

    Rivets

    bridge tools Gord That's a clever idea. With all the old computer parts around I think I can come up with the material.
  12. L

    Rivets

    bridge styles Jim I've always been interested in the balancing act of the draw bridge. I grew up in Antioch Ca and going to Sacramento along the river you cross back and forth and each time it was on that style of draw bridge Ken On that first bridge for that price that has to be...
  13. L

    Rivets

    bridges Your right about being pricey. What I want isn't a camel back, but then I don't think that would make it any cheaper. I want to make an arched bridge. I do like their stone piers.
  14. L

    Rivets

    I went out and measured the smallest rivet button that I have it comes out to .010 -.012 and they go up from there. I think that the longest I'll be making would be a span of about 18". I do a lot of woodworking and most will be made of wood. I just want at least one that I made from metal. I...
  15. L

    Rivets

    What would be the correct size as far as diameter?
  16. L

    Rivets

    Hi Carey I had to work out in the shop today. But, I remembered I just got a new Micro-Mark catalog yesterday. I went through it and found the press that they carry, and all the presses I have are too big. However, I got to thinking about aluminum pop rivets a little bit more. It's not the...
  17. L

    Rivets

    Thanks Jim. I think more of what I'm looking for would be something that I can just glue onto the out side, sort of a dot concept. I'll be using both square and rectangular brass tubing, so what ever I do will have to be from the outside. The assembly will just be soldiered together but on the...
  18. L

    Do you shake?

    Whole lot of shaken I have health issues that cause me to shake and I had someone recommend to me to use a small wrist weight that you can get with Velcro and will go on and off easy. It doesn't have to be but just a small amount of weight but it only takes a little bit for your mind to accept...
  19. L

    Rivets

    Yes, another new guy. I'm doing an HO layout and I want to scratch build an arch style bridge out of tubing. How long, who knows as of yet I'm just planning this stuff in my head and I can see it but I need and idea for the rivet heads. I'm sure most of you out there are smarter than I am and...
  20. L

    cement manufacturing and transportation

    fuel supply In my working life so long ago, I worked missiles mainly and at times I worked on projects with other types of explosives. I was working at WPNSTA Fallbrook and was given the napalm project to find out how much we truly had and work with a contractor that would finally get rid of...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top