Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. J

    Thicker foam insulation

    Well, I went and purchased two 4X8 sheets of the half inch foam. After I cut it to fit the 32" wide hollow core door there is quite a bit left over. I think I'll try the cut and stack method and see how that works. I'm waiting for the caulk to dry on the two base layers and will go from...
  2. J

    Thicker foam insulation

    Well, it looks like a trip to San Antonio is in my future. I asked the guy at the hobby shop about where to get the foam and he said....you guessed it...San Antonio. Thanks for the help, John
  3. J

    Thicker foam insulation

    Ken and Trey, Thanks a bunch. My answer is probably one or both of your suggestions. John
  4. J

    Thicker foam insulation

    I'm in Austin, Texas where it was a chilly 105 degrees this afternoon. I've checked Home Depot and all they had was 1/2". Same at Lowe's and a regular lumber yard. I'd give my eyeteeth to find some 2". Thanks for the reply, John
  5. J

    Thicker foam insulation

    Okay, so I decided to go with the pink or blue foam insulation to build my layout. The problem is that I can't find anything thicker than 1/2" around here. It would take a LOT of that to cover the hollow core door I bought and then build up a reasonable size hill and at +/- $15.00 per 4'X8'...
  6. J

    Question about N-Scale Bachman Northern 4-8-4

    Well, I discovered part of the problem. This evening the front trucks kept jumping the track so the gunsmith in me took over. I may not know much about electric trains but certain mechanical principles apply regardless. I went over the loco and discovered that the screw that holds the front...
  7. J

    Question about N-Scale Bachman Northern 4-8-4

    I was afraid someone was going to say that about Bachman. I bought the loco online and then the guy who runs one of the local hobby shops didn't quite come out and say they were inferior but did direct me toward Kato. The smaller Kato loco runs beautifully on the same track that the 4-8-4 has...
  8. J

    Question about N-Scale Bachman Northern 4-8-4

    Hello everyone. I'm very new to model railroading and will probably need to mine the wealth of info on here but today I have a single question. I purchased a NIB Bachman Nothern 4-8-4 in N-Scale and it seems to be a bit quirky. It doesn't perform well at slow speeds, jerking and sometimes...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top