Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. J

    ATLAS DCC or KATO DCC??? N scale.

    I'm about where you are in terms of confusion. From what I can tell DCC in N Scale is a work in progress and if you want sound just hide and wait. Only the most recent Kato diesel locos will accept DCC and even those may not accept DCC with sound. Do NOT buy MRC! I was told that MRC would...
  2. J

    Hobby Vacuum

    They sell them for cleaning computers. John
  3. J

    Need to Vent - M.B. Klein

    Jim, I have to admit that a smaller steam loco is on my wish list. I have the Walther's 2-8-8-2 and it's a great running and sounding loco but... It's no wonder the guys at the LHS like me so much. Happy Halloween! John
  4. J

    Need to Vent - M.B. Klein

    I have to laugh. Mostly at my addiction and ignorance. I went to the LHS this afternoon before I read the latest postings and found an Athearn FP-45 in Santa Fe livery with DCC and Tsunami sound for $199.00. The sound was excellent. It was the only DCC/Sound diesel loco in the place. I had...
  5. J

    Need to Vent - M.B. Klein

    Thanks, everyone. I didn't call Klein's today. I just won't buy anything from them again. The initial mistake was theirs and so was the second one but I didn't make things better when I got mad and started altering frames. I assumed that anyone selling DCC equipment would be knowledgeable...
  6. J

    Need to Vent - M.B. Klein

    Some time back I purchased a Kato EMD SD70M on Ebay. Great loco. Then I added DCC to my layout and wanted to upgrade. I called M.B. Klien (modeltrainstuff.com) and the rep in the N Scale dept said it was no problem. They had a MRC DCC/Sound board that would drop right in. When it arrived I...
  7. J

    Kato SD70M DCC Problem

    Guys, thanks for all the help. The loco has the old style circuit board. I spent some time with a rep from M.B. Klein this morning and they are letting me send the decoder back for a refund. I think I'll pass this loco and the Great Northern 4-8-4 along to someone who isn't doing DCC. Both...
  8. J

    Kato SD70M DCC Problem

    I'm starting to think that I'm too old for this...stuff. ;-) There is a board in the loco. I didn't see a plug. When I ordered the NCE system from Klein's (modeltrainstuff.com) I also ordered a DCC w/sound decoder. The one they sent me doesn't come close to fitting and says it is for a...
  9. J

    Kato SD70M DCC Problem

    I just got in a NCE Power Cab starter set. It works perfectly with my Walthers (Proto) 2-8-8-2 steamer that came equipped with DCC and sound. My Kato EMD SD70M is another story. It has a DCC circuit board but the NCE system doesn't recognize it. I hear the data transmission noise and then...
  10. J

    New Loco, need caboose

    I went to the LHS today. They found a period correct caboose that is being released in November. Of course, I can't remember the name of the manufacturer but I have one ordered. Jim, I read a little history on the USRA 2-8-8-2 locos used by UP. They used them at Sherman Hill for a while...
  11. J

    New Loco, need caboose

    Thanks for all the help. I just bid on a yellow UP caboose on the gomotorbids.com website. It's not period correct but I may repaint it. On the other hand, I'm probably not going to be accurate in what I have the loco pulling anyway. According to the history of the USRA 2-8-8-2 locos, they...
  12. J

    Gravel road - Good or Awful?

    Having driven, and also flown, over gravel roads here in Texas I have to say that the grass in the middle looks out of place. Only a rural private driveway would look like that here and then only if it were rarely used. One would assume that a church would see more regular traffic that would...
  13. J

    Kato Track and DCC Continuity?

    As of today, let's add a Walther's 2-8-8-2 steamer to the list of locos that don't have a problem. John
  14. J

    New frame and trucks for Kato SD70

    I received a Kato SD70M just the other day and I have to say that I've had zero problems. The loco glides effortlessly over the worst part of my layout which is where I have two turn-outs in a row. It runs so well that I've ordered a DCC decoder with sound for it and I'm a steam fan. I only...
  15. J

    New Loco, need caboose

    Went by the LHS this morning. This has proven to be a bad habit on my part although the guys who run the place always seem happy to see me come through the door. One of them stands with his hand poised over the keys on the cash register for some reason. Anyway, last week I had stopped by to...
  16. J

    Took the DCC plunge

    It would seem that, like a lot of other things in life, I have chosen the hardest one to do. Diesel locos just don't interest me and steamers are the hardest to convert to DCC. LOL! Thanks, John
  17. J

    Kato SD 70 M - What are the extra parts?

    I'll try to take pics but those parts are so small that I doubt my camera will focus. John
  18. J

    Kato Track and DCC Continuity?

    Thanks. I'll check all that out later. The loco I was referring to is an ancient Bachmann steamer that does have a short wheelbase. I also have an Athern 2-8-0 that is really short but doesn't seem to have a problem. My new Kato SD 70 M with its long wheelbase just glides through. Thanks...
  19. J

    Took the DCC plunge

    Thanks for that info. I'll give them a call. I'd sure like to get that 4-8-4 converted. John
  20. J

    Kato SD 70 M - What are the extra parts?

    I just received a Kato SD 70 M this afternoon. There are parts for magnetic couplers in a small packette but what are the other parts on the plastic trees? There's no instructions in the box and the Kato website doesn't seem to have any clues either. Anybody put one of these together? Are...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top