Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. mopacbuff

    MoPac GP7 project

    Zactly my thoughts on the exhaust stacks TMLW. The stacks on MoPac units are taller on proto photos that I've looked at. MPB
  2. mopacbuff

    Best deals on supplies?

    Greg, Thanks for the reply. Since I drive a big ole gas guzzling 3/4 ton pick up truck, shipping charges ARE a good deal to me, just looking for the best deal for my time/trouble/$$. I actually enjoy sitting here at my puter, beer in hand, and doing my shopping. If I were buying a loco, or a...
  3. mopacbuff

    Best deals on supplies?

    Gents, I am all for supporting my LHS, but the closest one to me is 25-35 minutes away (on a very good day with no snow) and leaves a bit to be desired in selection of even the most basic items (caters to toys and such). So, tonight I found I needed some xacto blades and some styrene, so...
  4. mopacbuff

    MoPac GP7 project

    Step two Ok, Tonight I removed the fan on the dynamic brake, using an Xacto knife and an Xacto razor saw. Gonna have to go to town for fresh blades, I need a new razor saw blade and I'm out of chisel blades, which I'll need later on in this project. BTW, here are the tools...
  5. mopacbuff

    Dynamic brake blister removal

    flh80, Thanks! I think I can do that. Tell me about the number boards on the front of the short hood on the Soo unit, please. They look good. MPB
  6. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    Doug, I've been to elephant rocks many times, what a great place! And to Johnsons shut-ins too, one of the most beautiful places in America. Taum Sauk reservoir was also very pretty, before the walls gave way. I've been doing a lot of thinking/research/planning on this layout/theme for the...
  7. mopacbuff

    Dynamic brake blister removal

    flh80, Any advice on how you dealt with the short hood? MPB
  8. mopacbuff

    MoPac GP7 project

    Step one Gents, Here is the first phase of this project. Thanks to kjd, tonight I removed the DB blisters from the sides of the shell Next, is to deal with this fan and the winterization hatch. I'll keep posting, if anyone is reading. MPB
  9. mopacbuff

    Dynamic brake blister removal

    kjd, I owe you an apology, you were correct about the 3 tabs holding the blisters on, I was looking for a way to remove the whole assembly including the fan, so I did not see what you meant. Now I do (there is none so blind as one who will not see). flh80, Your pics are exactly what I...
  10. mopacbuff

    Dynamic brake blister removal

    Glen, I know this is gonna be a PITA, but what better way to get my feet wet? If I screw it up too bad, I'll weld/tarp over it for the scrap track. If it works out, then it's a unit in service. If I foul it up, then it's a scrap line unit, nothing ventured, nothing gained. MPB
  11. mopacbuff

    How did you decide on your Road/Theme?

    Very easy for me, it's in my blood. Dad worked for MoPac in the 70/80s. Cousin and Uncle still work for MoPac (UP yuck, gag, puke). MPB
  12. mopacbuff

    Dynamic brake blister removal

    Here's a link to the thread chronicling the ongoing drama of this project. http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=212410#post212410 Thanks for all input. MPB
  13. mopacbuff

    MoPac GP7 project

    Gents, Anyone who has read my thread about a MoPac Geep RIP/Scrap track loco, located here; http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=212404#post212404 knows that I am in process of converting an Athearn blue box GP7 (in UP colors (YUCK, GAG, PUKE)), to a MoPac unit...
  14. mopacbuff

    Dynamic brake blister removal

    Gents, Based on this proto picture; and others turned up during my research, I've decided that my blue box geep most closely resembles a MoPac GP7, w/o DBs and plus a winterization hatch. Now my plan is to make this my very first loco detail project (not super duper detail, just...
  15. mopacbuff

    Dynamic brake blister removal

    This one is definately molded as part of the shell, no tabs or anything holding it in place. Guess I'll look at proto photos and see if I can find an overhead view. MPB
  16. mopacbuff

    Dynamic brake blister removal

    "Winterization hatch", thank you!! Now I know what to call it. It is molded in. Please explain the "work" I have to do. Thanks MPB
  17. mopacbuff

    Dynamic brake blister removal

    Gents, Inspired by the thread about building a scrapline SD7/9, I'm converting an Athearn blue box GP7/9 into a rip/scrap line unit (mostly because of missing parts and it being about 10 years old). The prototype I love (MoPac :D ) and base some of my freelance RRs on, used units w/o...
  18. mopacbuff

    MoPac font

    No one care to hazzard a WAG? MPB
  19. mopacbuff

    Scrapline SD-7/9

    This thread has inspired me. I have an older Athearn blue box GP7/9 high nose loco that's missing some parts, mostly handrails and stuff. I had almost consigned it to the scrap parts bin, maybe now I'll semi-finish it, weather the hell outta it and put it on a RIP/scrap track. It does have a...
  20. mopacbuff

    MoPac font

    This is probably a basic (dumb) question, but does anyone have an idea what font matches the MoPac lettering in their buzzsaw "Missouri Pacific Lines" logo? I'm toying with shortline/subsidiary names for MoPac and I want to use the same logo/font. Here's what I'm looking for...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top