Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. D

    Good Switching layout examples?

    Not really better. Do you need the runaround on the curve, in the middle of the plan? All you really need for a runaround to be effective is enough room for the engine to clear the switch on one side. You don't need 3 feet of clearence on both sides. Therefore, you could locate the...
  2. D

    Double curved turnout=Confused

    David, I won't be able to answer specifics about peco turnouts, but there are some things others may want cleared up before they can answer your questions. The red line you have drawn suggests you are looking for a Y turnout, not a double curved turnout. While a y has 2 curves, they arc in...
  3. D

    Good Switching layout examples?

    Stein and Cuyama are experts at this, so I don't want to tread on their turf, but I have a few suggestions: Your curved runaround makes it difficult to couple cars, since it is so sharp. I would want straight sections of track of at least 12 inches between the curved portions and the turnouts...
  4. D

    Good Switching layout examples?

    Thanks for clearing that up Stein. Having no experience with the software used, my eye didn't detect a difference between using a crossing and a turnout there. Thought it was strictly for visual interest.
  5. D

    Good Switching layout examples?

    I have seen that trackplan pop up from time to time and have often wondered the same thing. It seems like the "frog" of the crossing and the frog of the switch are the same number, so a switch should work there too. Also, accessing the crossing track requires an extra back up move if you use...
  6. D

    Help me choose a yard layout

    I agree with some of the things already mentioned, especially how the crossovers and curves really shrink the usability of the yard. In order to actually use the crossovers, a good portion of the tracks need to be empty. And, since it is difficult to couple cars on curves, you can really only...
  7. D

    First Layout - Opinions Required!

    You basically have two helix's that build elevation to get the high bridge vista scene. Nice bridge, but I think the loops will be difficult to scenic, and they will likely look unrealistic and toy-like, possibly spoiling the look of the entire layout. Too many tracks too close together...
  8. D

    2'x15' yard ideas...

    Oops. Just updating my previous post for the record. Upon further inspection, it looks like the turnouts are not separated by additional track. You can trim the ends of the turnouts to make the yard tracks closer together, if you wish to do that.
  9. D

    2'x15' yard ideas...

    I think the yard tracks could be spaced closer together. In HO scale, the center lines of each track can be 2.25 inches apart in a yard. Try shortening, or eliminating, the short tracks that are in between your turnouts. It might also increase the length of each yard track slightly in the...
  10. D

    First Time Layout

    realdeal... It would be wise to revisit how best to use your space. The 5x9 is probably not the best shape. Here is a link to a commonly referred to layout to show what can be done with a roughly similar amount of lumber that you would use for your 5 x9 table...
  11. D

    Thoughts on bench design for new layout

    Much, much better than your first plan. Stein's suggestion was key. Be careful about having the turnout in the tunnel. No reason to create a maintenance issue since you have room to move the portal to the east. I still like the idea of having the liftout closer to the middle of the south...
  12. D

    Thoughts on bench design for new layout

    Ian.... Sounds good. Yes, its tough to offer suggestions sometimes since the OP generally has a vision that can't be completely conveyed in these short choppy discussion forums. Responders are often shooting blind in someways. Having the mine over trackage that's hidden in a tunnel will...
  13. D

    Thoughts on bench design for new layout

    If you want to use those structures, I would suggest trying to group some of them. Like the power company, freight house, and station for example. Rethinking the benchwork shape, if you're going to move the mine to one of the N corners, that would free up the skinny part of the S benchwork...
  14. D

    Thoughts on bench design for new layout

    Ian.... If I may jump in here. First off, I like the shape of your plan. It satisfies your main goal of watching passenger trains run. I hope you have access to the W, otherwise, you have poor access to the track left of the car shop. The spur for the freight house is long, yet the spurs...
  15. D

    New Layout design-Looking for feedback

    jwilliam... You need to draw the plan closer to actual scale. The sketches you've posted strongly suggest you will not fit all of the turnouts into the spaces provided. You drew them too short and sharp. Levels 1 and 3 look like you have two short yards started with three-way switches. In...
  16. D

    First layout

    I have been following and thought I would offer some thoughts. First I like the simplicity of the plan. The "gap" in the benchwork will not really scenic very well anyway, even if you use a bridge. Just leave it unscenicked and it will tend to act as a scenic break between the logging area...
  17. D

    New Layout

    Looks good to me! Don't suppose you'll be doing much switching with the turbines anyway. I'm no yard designer, but I don't see anything that would cause major problems. My personal preference would be wider aisles between the peninsulas. If you shortened the top one by a few feet, you...
  18. D

    H & W RR -- second try

    Thomas, I thought I would offer some thoughts. I'll leave the space configuration and room redesign to you and others, but just working with the plan you posted here... It sounds like you've put some thought into how the trains will operate, but with the important goal of satisfying the kids...
  19. D

    My first attempt

    Kevin. Yes that is how I would replace the slip. I would have left the crossover the way it was. Edit: Or you could flip the escape crossover on the right and use the track that's second from the top as the arrival. Might be better yet. Nothing is perfect here. A branchline would probably...
  20. D

    My first attempt

    If you remove the RH switch from the mainline that connects to the slip and replace the slip with it, you could still switch the yard by using the lead. It would still be a well designed yard too. A train would arrive from the left and the locomotive would use the escape at the far right and...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top