Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. D

    B&O RR 26th St. Terminal

    Golly, that's almost an exact replica you have designed. I think the two tracks at the far SE of the layout can be consolidated into one, to serve as both an engine escape for the runaround and as a tail track for the switchback. I also think the need for two crossovers next to each other...
  2. D

    B&O RR 26th St. Terminal

    Brent, Since the warehouse is long, and its tracks are long, it implies that it requires the longest cut of cars on the layout. If so, how will a locomotive be able to back a long cut of cars far enough to clear the switch if cars are already sitting on the ferry? Not enough distance...
  3. D

    Anyone have a ho scale point-to-point?

    If you're modeling the 90's, you don't have to turn the engines. They simply head back with their long hood leading the way. That's a benefit diesels provide, eliminating the need for turntables, reversing loops, and wye's. You will want to have a runaround at each end of the layout in...
  4. D

    Stein Jr passing

    Shocking and terrible news. My condolences to his family. I always looked forward to reading his posts, especially those involving track planning. Very sad news. His absence will be felt in the online community.
  5. D

    Critique please, bedroom switching layout plan

    Nicely done! I hadn't considered a drill track in the NW. Although you're right, you probably don't have a reason to use it considering your theme. And I agree with you about the second runaround. I can't think of a reason why you need it.
  6. D

    Delay's, delay's, delay's

    I agree. I've wondered if a producer would succeed if they offered a basic model at a basic price, then offered various option packages to detail the product. Something as simple as little baggies containing detail parts. For a diesel locomotive, option package "A" could be basic parts like...
  7. D

    Delay's, delay's, delay's

    NY, The producers/importers may have had no choice. I agree that the movement of production to China and the change in the business model, together, is causing this problem. Apparently, the producers/importers are having a hard time finding tool makers and skilled assemblers. When the...
  8. D

    Critique please, bedroom switching layout plan

    Yes, I was just offering up one suggestion. Thinking further, there are better ways to flip the yard. It'll be interesting to see your adjustment. Its easier to play around with the design and different operating situations at this point than later.
  9. D

    Critique please, bedroom switching layout plan

    You will need the empty track on the peninsula to switch the switchback that leads to C. Unless, any industry that is placed on the empty track uses 1 or 2 cars only, and the train going to C is 1 or 2 cars only. Then there may be enough track length to have cars spotted at the new industry...
  10. D

    Critique please, bedroom switching layout plan

    I'll leave your room usage and tolerance for crampness to your own judgment. A modern shortline would not have a turntable. If they inherited one when they took over a former class 1 branch line, they probably wouldv'e filled it in to save ongoing costs. Turntables also take up valuable...
  11. D

    Critique please, bedroom switching layout plan

    As a track plan, I don't see much that will cause problems. Switching industry H when there is a car in front of industry F will cause you extra switching moves to clear the spur, but that may seem interesting to you instead of a problem. I prefer as little track as possible. There is...
  12. D

    First layout plan - Comments appreciated

    Since you are leaning towards scratchbuilding structures you have seen, you might have more satisfaction with having plenty of room on the layout to show them off, and avoid cluttering the space with track. You might also enjoy operating the layout more like a real railroad, rather than only...
  13. D

    Re-Numbering a Locomotive

    Doug, I renumber locomotives alot since I also freelance a shortline. It depends upon the manufacturer. Athearn's lettering and numbers can sometimes be removed with a bright boy or even an eraser. Atlas' can be removed using Pine Sol on a Q tip and lots of rubbing. P2K seems to be the...
  14. D

    First layout plan - Comments appreciated

    Why do you want to reverse the direction of the train? Everybody has their reasons, so tell us what benefit this will be to you.
  15. D

    Can i fit this yard in a 24" wide space?

    Just the yard or the entire scene, spur and building too? The rather short yard lead starts somewhere to the left, off the picture, as does the spur. So the length of your benchwork should be a concern. The length of the yard lead and whether you want it straight or curved, like in the...
  16. D

    Would you buy Walthers Proto 1000/2000 locos?

    They were probably reading the Atlas forum too much. :rolleyes: I think in the end, model railroading is a highly visually rewarding hobby and if a paint scheme makes a model look good, or is a popular road name, but not necessarily accurate, it will still sell decently. To the OP: I have...
  17. D

    Consolidated Short Lines

    That's a good start. I like the modern theme and the GP15.
  18. D

    DC operators

    Yes, a very nice scene indeed. I assume that's an older 2 motor version? Someday, I'll post a photo of my center cab 80 tonner I'm bashing from two 70 tonner shells. I'm placing it onto a 70 ton chassis that had a bad decoder in it. Rewired for straight DC and it runs very well. Something...
  19. D

    DC operators

    Yes, I think that the 45 tonner, as well as the 44 and 70 tonners only come with the dual mode decoder. Slightly bigger small locomotives generaly come dcc ready or dcc/sound. Bachmann's S4 comes either way.
  20. D

    DC operators

    Montanan, I'm a bit of a small locomotive junkie, and I believe most small locomotives are offered dcc ready, which is without a decoder, in addition to fully loaded dcc & sound (obviously decoder equipped). I think even the newer Bachmann's are offered that way, but the decoderless...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top