Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. stokesda

    Can LEDs be used with SoundTraxx 'LC' decoders?

    Ken, Don't throw in the towel just yet! Check out the bottom part of this page from Litchfield Station's website on doing a sound install for an SD70MAC: http://www.litchfieldstation.com/lobby/hods_kato_SD70MAC.htm There is an issue with using LEDs on the LC decoders, but there is a...
  2. stokesda

    This one's for grande man

    Smoke, using the decal is probably the best way to go... I might end up in a straightjacket trying to mask and paint the stripes. I take it you placed the decal on first, then cut out the nose light housing and window afterwards with a new #11 blade? Again, great job! Are you going to sell this...
  3. stokesda

    This one's for grande man

    Great job, as always, Smoke. But I gotta ask... How did you do the orange striping on the ends? I have a GP30 shell I want to paint in that color scheme, and I can't decide if it will be easier to mask and paint the stripes, or try to use a decal from the Microscale decal sheet. Either way...
  4. stokesda

    Best Vacation Coming Up

    I went on the Royal Gorge train back in 2004. It was fantastic! They did have an F-unit leading the train. I think it was an ex- C&NW unit repainted to resemble the old D&RGW scheme. I forget whether it was an F7 or F9. There was also a helper locomotive behind it - not a B unit, but a GP7 or...
  5. stokesda

    Switching

    [Edit: oops! I didn't notice this thread had a second page at first. Still, I'll leave my comments below for consideration. Not sure if you have the space to run the left end of the main into staging, but it would help with point #2 below.] On the revised drawing, it looks like your A/D track...
  6. stokesda

    Proto 87 Stores Turnouts - Anybody Use Them?

    Thanks for the responses, guys. I do know there's a difference between Proto 87 and regular HO. I was looking at the HO kits. I didn't realize they were the CV kits, though. I think I might get two or three and try them out sometime later this summer. Got a lot of other stuff on "the list"...
  7. stokesda

    Proto 87 Stores Turnouts - Anybody Use Them?

    I posted this on the MR forum a couple of days ago, and haven't gotten any meaningful responses yet. Just thought I'd give it a try here: ****** I was trying to weigh my options between ordering the Fast Tracks stuff and making my own turnouts, and getting commercial ones. Because of the...
  8. stokesda

    Need a lil' help

    Hello, and welcome! As far as I could tell, only Athearn makes a GP 40-2. A quick search of the Walthers website (www.walthers.com) says that Atlas makes a GP40. I'm not familiar with the differences between your models and the GP40, but you may be able to kitbash one into what you want...
  9. stokesda

    Anyone care to help ID some more HO locos

    #6 looks like a GP-30. They had distinctive boxy-looking rooflines.
  10. stokesda

    Ready to take the plunge

    If you want an industrial switching type layout, check out some of the designs on this website for ideas: http://andrews-trains.fotopic.net/ Alternatively, you could do a freight yard that receives trains, uses a switcher to break them up and make new trains, then sends outbound trains to...
  11. stokesda

    Greets! HO Newbie looking for more advice

    Red, Just wanted to add to what CSX RS stated... The different numbers for the track sizes refer to the track's CODE. The Code is a measurement of the height of the rail, expressed in thousandths of an inch. So Code 100 rail is 100/1000 inches high, Code 83 is 83/1000 inches high, and so...
  12. stokesda

    model railroad planning

    BNSF, I recommend you download the Atlas "Right Track Software," which is a CAD program that will let you design your own layout <http://www.atlasrr.com/righttrack.htm>. RTS is a pretty elementary model RR CAD program, so it should't take you long to learn it. But it will be extremely helpful...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top