Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. H

    CN GP40-2LW Kitbash

    I tested fit a modified pilot and step taken from an Atlas C30-7 sill. Compared to photo I have of the real loco, its a bit oversize but it look pretty similar to the 2W steps configuration. I'm not a rivet counter so I don't mind if my loco is not 100% accurate and I assume the size difference...
  2. H

    CN GP40-2LW Kitbash

    Here is some pics of a CN GP40-2LW project I started a week ago. The basis is an Athearn GP-40-2 shell with a safety cab kit from Smokey Valley (part # 25). I built the inertial fans snowshields from .040 styrene. I will shim the whole body so it sit higher and install the pilot and steps of an...
  3. H

    My 4 x 8 layout

    some progress...
  4. H

    My 4 x 8 layout

    I'm now using a 50/50 mix of water and 70% isopropylic alcool to wet my ballast, seem to work better than alcool alone and I also replaced white glue with Podge Modge for cement.
  5. H

    My 4 x 8 layout

    There is nine #6 and seven # 4 turnouts on this layout. I started weathering and ballasting the rails in the industrial yard. I painted each ties with a wash of gray (I think it was more dry brushing than washing). I glued fine gray ballast using a mix of white glue and water. I sprayed 70%...
  6. H

    My 4 x 8 layout

    Thanks everyone for your comments. I know this is a busy layout but as quoted in the Atlas plan book "The Great Eastern Trunk attempts, in the very minimum space, to give something of the flavor of heavy duty, main line railroad". This is difficult to design a 4 x 8 layouts which combine lots of...
  7. H

    My 4 x 8 layout

    I painted my rails today using Delta CeramCoat crafts acrylic paints "Brown Iron Oxide". The color is perfect but unfortunately I found that this paint peel of from the rail when scratched. I think this product must be applied over a primer to stick well to bare metal. I assume that when fully...
  8. H

    My 4 x 8 layout

    Here is a quick drawing I made when I removed the tracks prior to the installation of the roadbed. While there is a mix of radius, the curves are quite smooth and kink free. I tested this layout with my Athearn Genesis SD-70 (with warped trucks issue) and it did not derail at all at full speed...
  9. H

    My 4 x 8 layout

    Here is my layout, a modified version of Atlas Great Eastern Trunk. I used Atlas code 83 sectional tracks on cork roadbed. I replaced the turntable from the original plan with industrial spurs. I also modified the curves so they now have a 22" or 24" radius easement section which provide better...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top