Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. Jon Grant 4472

    Some weathered freight cars for Sweethome Alabama

    One newly graffitied car (Racing Hippo) and some shots of other weathered cars in the newly sceniced area Jon
  2. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    Taking the bull by the horns, I am going to jump straight to the next board that butts-up to the area just forested. It is only 21in x 15in but includes 2 roads, a bridge and a stone loading platform. The first photo shows the board from the back - the backscene will cover the white area...
  3. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    Thanks Rico. From the rearmost track to the backscene is about 4-5 inches. Jon
  4. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    I got the trees and temporary backscene added late last night, so the scene is pretty much complete, although I may darken the clay erosion slightly. I also added some flowers to the grass and have a few other plants to make and add later. Details will be added to the yard area later, but for...
  5. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    I added some forest floor scatter, weeds, bushes and some dead trees to the grassy hill. The scene is starting to come together. Next job will be to plant some trees. Jon
  6. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    Once the silos had been bedded in and the track inside the shed ballasted, I added a few mud landslips from the Das modelling clay which, when dry, resembles the colour of Alabama clay. I also tore up various Silflor grass mats and glued them to the sub-base in small patches, varying the...
  7. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    I have been working on a few trees recently and am now ready to plant them. however I needed to add some grass and forest floor before I could plant the trees. The area I chose to treat first was the small hillock to the left of the silos, being only a couple of feet long by 5 inches deep...
  8. Jon Grant 4472

    Some weathered freight cars for Sweethome Alabama

    The next couple of cars to get the treatment were an E&C Shops excess-height A406 double-door boxcar for MDW and a 50ft NS (SOU) boxcar - I think this is a Roundhouse model, but it was heavily detailled by the late Dave Scott, and I am unsure of it's history - I have so far found no photo to...
  9. Jon Grant 4472

    Some weathered freight cars for Sweethome Alabama

    I have finally finished weathering a couple of canadian boxcars. I only added graffiti to one side and for speed, used either Blair Line or Microscale Graffiti decals, plus a few handpainted tags. The brake gear and end detail still have to be added at a later date. The CP Rail boxcar is an...
  10. Jon Grant 4472

    Some weathered freight cars for Sweethome Alabama

    'My words but a whisper, your deafness - a SHOUT' Hello Carey, long time no see:) Jon
  11. Jon Grant 4472

    Some weathered freight cars for Sweethome Alabama

    Both cars together Next up are a couple of Canadian examples Jon
  12. Jon Grant 4472

    Some weathered freight cars for Sweethome Alabama

    The next freight car on the table was an athearn CSX 50ft A402 boxcar, similar to the one shown below Again the car was weathered with acrylic washes, dry-brushing and graffiti applied to one side with brush-applied acrylic paint. I still have the brake gear and pipes to add to the model...
  13. Jon Grant 4472

    Some weathered freight cars for Sweethome Alabama

    Taking some time off from making trees for the layout, I decided to build up the fleet of weathered and graffitied freight cars. The first subject/patient on the treatment table is an Illinois Central A406 excess height boxcar, similar to the example below (RR Picture Archives) The boxcar...
  14. Jon Grant 4472

    How to Make Trees and Shrubs

    Excellent tutorial Jos. Just read through all 35 pages. I'm just starting out with my tree-making, but it's good fun. For speed most of my trees will be sea foam, which I'll replace as time permits Looking forward to seeing more of your trees Jon
  15. Jon Grant 4472

    Newbie on here from England

    Hello, Nice to meet you all. I'm new on ModelRailroadForums, so I'll have a good look round the forum and then join in the discussions. I currently have three layouts on the go - Sweethome Chicago (1930s Steam in HO) Sweethome Alabama (1990s diesels in HO) and Hudson...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top