Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    Moving further eastwards, I have added the ground cover to the east yard and am just waiting for the diluted white glue to dry on the ballast, wood chippings and static grass, before starting on the hills with the Silflor grass The hills de-nuded of the temporarily-added trees...
  2. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    The next big job on the layout was to separate the two main boards on the layout. The first task was to remove the lighting, the backscene and the small end board from the West Yard board, so I could 'jiggle' it loose from the East board The joining bolts and wing-nuts were then...
  3. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    I have added a few more foreground trees to the west board before commencing scenic work on the Eastern end of the layout. CSX GP38-2 switching cars in the west yard Jon
  4. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    I made a start on scenicing the slope in at the front of the layout today. Usual method of gluing grass mat to the base and adding some bushes Jon
  5. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    I added a few trees to the bare hillside tonight to give some height to the scene. Tomorrow I'll add some bushes, flowers and weeds Jon
  6. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    A few more photos of the ground cover Now to add some bushes and trees Jon
  7. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    Into June, and the work on Sweethome Alabama begins again, after a short hiatus while Sweethome Chicago was prepped for exhibiting a couple of weeks ago. I chose the area just to the right of the silos for treatment, to continue the scenic progress along the back of the layout from left to...
  8. Jon Grant 4472

    Sweethome Chicago on the road - May 2011

    On Sunday, 'The Layout Doctor' arrived to operate the layout ;), and I started making a video blog for the layout. The first two parts of the blog are here................ http://youtu.be/M82F3X8Gk6g and here................ http://youtu.be/mbYK7XTu3NQ Some photos taken on Sunday at the...
  9. Jon Grant 4472

    Sweethome Chicago on the road - May 2011

    On Sunday, 'The Layout Doctor' arrived to operate the layout ;), and I started making a video blog for the layout. The first two parts of the blog are here................ http://youtu.be/M82F3X8Gk6g"]blog part 1[/url] and here................ http://youtu.be/mbYK7XTu3NQ"]Blog part 2[/url]...
  10. Jon Grant 4472

    Sweethome Chicago on the road - May 2011

    Last weekend, I exhibited Sweethome Chicago at Middlesborough (UK) Model Railway exhibition. The layout was driven to the show on Friday afternoon and set up in just over 3 hours, which is a bit of a record. Here's the layout at the show, but still packed up in the van at 6.45pm By 8.45...
  11. Jon Grant 4472

    Sweethome Alabama in the 40s and 50s

    Great story Carey. Funny you should mention red RS2s. I'll be back Jon
  12. Jon Grant 4472

    Sweethome Alabama in the 40s and 50s

    Good call, Corey. Next layout will be Mississippi - IC, KCS and Midsouth - already in the planning stage, and will be made to link up with Sweethome Alabama Jon
  13. Jon Grant 4472

    Sweethome Alabama in the 40s and 50s

    I 'found' some archive photos showing Sweethome Alabama in steam/early diesel days, with the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio hard at work switching out cars Jon
  14. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    I've added some trees, flowers and a colour light signal to the small board. I originally had the trees much more tightly packed, but removed over 15 of them as I couldn't see the wood for the trees. Here are the latest photos Jon
  15. Jon Grant 4472

    Weekly Photo fun 4/29 to 5/5

    This one is from Monroe Models. The other trestle bridge on the layout is scratchbuilt, and based on a prototype in Alabama Jon
  16. Jon Grant 4472

    Weekly Photo fun 4/29 to 5/5

    Excellent photos guys. I nearly missed this one. Still, better late than never Jon
  17. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    Carey, so far it's a Kudzu-free zone, but I'm still looking for some large-enough leaves to show the effect of kudzu (The Red Weed) in at least one area of the layout. I made a bit more progress on the grass, completing the coverage on the small board. I also bedded in the bridge and started...
  18. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    I added a dirt/gravel access road using torn up pieces of Silflor scenic matting, glued down with household glue. I had earlier added some DAS modelling clay to simulate bare patches, but these seem to have been covered up. I'll continue with the grass until the area is covered...
  19. Jon Grant 4472

    Some weathered freight cars for Sweethome Alabama

    One more newly weathered covered hopper (Horslips - Exiles) and a couple of new photos showing older cars. The inspiration a couple of Athearn boxcars Jon
  20. Jon Grant 4472

    Some weathered freight cars for Sweethome Alabama

    Photographed a few more freight cars tonight, including a freight car load to prove that they are models [;)] Two Proto2000 covered hopper kits CSXT pulpwood car with pulpwood load CSXT pulpwood car with 'pipe' load Jon




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top