Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. Jon Grant 4472

    Computer-aided photos for Sweethome Alabama

    Thanks for the favourable comments and helpful tips, guys. This is definitely the way to go. I 've uploaded the third photo to Railimages, showing a CSX SD35 passing the West Yard at Sweethome Alabama. I used the Helicon Focus software again but also cropped and edited the photo in Picasa3, as...
  2. Jon Grant 4472

    Computer-aided photos for Sweethome Alabama

    Following a discussion on photography and depth of field in another forum, I downloaded a 4-week trial of some computer software called Helicon focus http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html Simply put, the software takes a number of partially-focused photos and layers them on top of one...
  3. Jon Grant 4472

    Even more trees for Sweethome Alabama

    Just when I thought I had done with the trees, I found some very nice ready-made examples at a show today, which just had to go on the layout. The weeping willows are especially eye-catching, and the pines are conspicuous by being so 'green'. The trees are available from...
  4. Jon Grant 4472

    Locomotive visitors to Sweethome Alabama

    BN GP9 Belt Railway of Chicago RS2 BRC TR4 (SW7 cow/calf) BRC SW1200s in early and later liveries Jon
  5. Jon Grant 4472

    Locomotive visitors to Sweethome Alabama

    British outline (Bachmann OO) class 66/9 Rock Island GP9 in my favourite CRIP livery Monon (CIL) BL2 in the classic gold/black A very early visitor Jon
  6. Jon Grant 4472

    Locomotive visitors to Sweethome Alabama

    Although Sweethome Alabama will be operated mostly by CSX and Norfolk Southern power, it will also see visiting diesels, and some steamers from many different railroads, not only from Burlington Northern and Birmingham Southern, but from many other railroads not necessarily associated with...
  7. Jon Grant 4472

    Diesel update for Sweethome Alabama

    I managed to practically complete another diesel over the weekend, this time a P2K CSX GP30. It started out as a standard GP30 in the third CSX paint scheme but I wanted to add some yellow ends, to represent the 4th and a half scheme - where CSX just added one or two yellow ends (and...
  8. Jon Grant 4472

    Diesel update for Sweethome Alabama

    The second loco is an Atlas B23-7 in Southern livery with High short hood and factory fitted sound. Although very nicely done, the SOU paint does not fit the timescale of the layout so I decided to repaint it into Norfolk Southern livery. Modelling Alabama, the natural choice for a B23-7...
  9. Jon Grant 4472

    Diesel update for Sweethome Alabama

    Hello all I've been busy detailling and weathering a couple more locomotives for Sweethome Alabama' diesel roster. First up is an SD35 in Seaboard Coast Line black/yellow, patched into CSXT and dates up to about 1992. Although I have no evidence these ran in labama at that time, and those...
  10. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    As well as adding the trees, I also had time to work on a few new details for the layout. I have replaced the Hayes bumpers with piles of old ballast - the Hayes bumpers being too upmarket for a lowly branch line in rural Alabama. I still have some weeds and junk to add to the piles...
  11. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    The tree planting is finally complete. After a marathon tree-making session which lasted into the early hours of this morning, I had enough trees to cover the remaining areas at the back of the layout. Here are the first photos with all the trees in place Jon
  12. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    I've also been working on a few smaller details and sceniced the area around the rainwater culvert and started making a 'pad' to hold a chlorine (or propane) tank - I have several chlorine tank cars but only one to carry propane at present. Jon
  13. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    I removed the end-scene between the layout and the fiddle yard to get some unusual photo angles of the freight house I also took an 'aerial' shot to show the overall appearance of the new scenery Jon
  14. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    Thanks Carey. I hope the Alabama 'feel' to the layout is starting to show. CSX MP15AC switching cars in the east yard Jon
  15. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    Work on the trees and ground cover continues rapidly and tonight I finished the basic scenery in the East Yard. There's still a bit to do over the weekend, before I can add some flowers and weeds, but the end of the tree planting is in sight, after making what seems like hundreds of them...
  16. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    Moving to the front of the layout, the grass and underbrush have now been laid as far as the freight house. The trees will follow just as soon as I can 'grow' them. Jon
  17. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    The grass continues to grow rapidly on Sweehome Alabama as the green baize spreads eastwards towards the freight house. I also added the greenery to the small area behind the backscene, which is visible through the fiddle yard exit in the backscene. First up, some photos taken from behind the...
  18. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    Well, the grass seems to be growing quicker than 'Chia Pet' and possibly even kudzu. It has already covered the next hillside and more. The trees are following rapidly behind. Here's the next set of photos The trees are now on the other side of the road bridge I have also...
  19. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    Work on the scenics is progressing rapidly now, in fact too rapidly to upload any progress photos for nearly a week. The backscene has had the sky repainted, the silos have finally got a name, the main road bridge has had some work done on it and I've planted a load more trees. Here are some...
  20. Jon Grant 4472

    Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

    The overall depth of the layout is 21 inches from front to backscene. You get a good idea from this photo Jon




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top