Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. M

    Bachmann, NCE, Digitrax

    Yet another consideration - I noticed today that the Digitrax Zephyr Starter Set has a 2.5 amp power supply. The NCE PowerCab (their starter, of course) has 2 amps of power. Does the difference in power directly relate to the load they can "push"/handle around the track, or is it reasonable to...
  2. M

    AC vs DC vs DC with HO

    Not a problem from my perspective - I appreciate the learning..... But: A. I should have paid a whole lot more attention at Bronx High School of Science (I remember a lot of these words from the few times I went to class)...... and B. I won't make UP2CSX's mistake about what body parts NOT...
  3. M

    Bachmann, NCE, Digitrax

    Robert - thanks for making this clear. In my case, looks like I "got lucky" by using Bachmann DCC turnouts so I can kinda "cheat" the system.... I'm not sure if there's a downside to the way they do this, but to me, it seems like a bonus.... BSBH - thanks for the link on NCE - that looks easy...
  4. M

    Bachmann, NCE, Digitrax

    I just also looked and saw that JMRI can be used via Digitrax' Zephyr Starter set, but needs an NCE additional device to make it work, i.e. not with the PowerCab by itself, so in terms of a starter system, the Digitrax can work easier here, but I also remember that the NCE system is upgradeable...
  5. M

    Bachmann, NCE, Digitrax

    Wow - for a newbie, this getting to be quite an interesting discussion.... I'm learning tons from everyone's responses..... It sounds like Bachmann's DCC turnout's operate a little off the standard (the kludge mentioned where they use an engine address),which is why the MRC Prodigy new series...
  6. M

    Bachmann, NCE, Digitrax

    Does your MRC Express also control any DCC turnout's and track "stuff"? That seemed to be the implication of one of the guys I spoke to... Also, what is (in short terms and small words...) JMRI and what does it mean? And if MRC doesn't handle it, I wonder if NCE, Digitrax or the others handle it?
  7. M

    AC vs DC vs DC with HO

    This proves that I have a lot to learn technically, which, of course, always happens when I get into a new hobby, so I appreciate the information and the distinctions. Being a lifetime-recovering New Yorker, I can't help making at least myself laugh by pointing out that the bi-polar issue and...
  8. M

    Bachmann, NCE, Digitrax

    After deciding to play a little holiday-hookie from work and go talk to the 2 local stores, I found some surprising info... The one that was trains-only, and has a bad habit of talking down to non-experts - the guy even said to me at least 3 times when I was asking questions like those asked...
  9. M

    AC vs DC vs DC with HO

    Thanks - this makes sense - I really appreciate everyone's help!
  10. M

    AC vs DC vs DC with HO

    Actually, Jim, I was really looking to see if the non-DCC controller could be used with DCC locomotives/engines as well as non-DCC trains at the same time or not at the same time - I wanted to make sure that if I put a DCC engine on the tracks when I had the non-DCC power pack connected that I...
  11. M

    AC vs DC vs DC with HO

    Thanks for the replies. This tells me that the DCC system I bought will allow me to run once we get my son's Thomas and Friends non-DCC stuff at the same time with the Thomas controller. It will then run direct current, but the two trains - the Thomas trains (non-DCC) and the DCC engine/trains...
  12. M

    AC vs DC vs DC with HO

    We've got Bachmann tracks and Bachmann DCC locomotives. We're also about to get some non-DCC stuff for my 4-year old (our excuse for getting into this...). Some questions: * Is all HO stuff DC powered? (vs. AC)? * Will a non-DCC power unit/controller also work if we put DCC locomotives on it...
  13. M

    Bachmann, NCE, Digitrax

    After another great and very helpful round of comments, some more thoughts/observations: 1. I'm on many different forums - flying, scuba diving, salt water fish, Linux, etc. My initial experience with this forum is the best one so far - everyone has good info and strong opinions BUT they are...
  14. M

    Bachmann, NCE, Digitrax

    OK, so a little summary to this point.... 1. Actual hands-on is clearly helpful in a way which manuals and descriptions may not be. (Unfortunately, I have only 1 local model railroad store nearby - lots of stuff, very knowledgeable, but hard to get their attention if you're not already an...
  15. M

    Bachmann, NCE, Digitrax

    First I appreciate the replies so far - the information is very helpful for me as it goes beyond "the manual" and the basic statements on web sites, and even what you get when you call the manufacturers, which I have done with at least Bachmann and NCE, Second, please keep them coming! I...
  16. M

    Bachmann, NCE, Digitrax

    I'm new to DCC, and using my 4-year old son as an excuse to play.... I'm trying to decide on whether to expand my new Bachmann EZ-Command DCC controller, or buy a new: * Bachmann Dynamis * NCE SuperCab * Digitrax starter system (forget the name) I've heard good and bad about all...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top