Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. M

    Appraiser needed

    Hey guys, My grandparents gave a bunch of 1.5 scale model trains to a local railroad park , and are trying to claim this on their taxes. The problem is, without an official appraiser, IRS is only allowing $5,000 when they donated over $100,000. They are wondering if there are any official...
  2. M

    What Other Hobbies do you have?

    My only other hobby is airsofting. That and the models make my checkbook cry.
  3. M

    Ceiling Train (HO Scale)

    Its a great way to let him get involved. Depending on how much room he has, he might also be able to build a floor layout in this room every so often.
  4. M

    Thoughts on Walthers 5 Car Double Stack Set

    I used to have the set, and they are splined, like in Chris's photos. They work and look well, but they cannot handle tight radis curves or switches. When I rebuild my layout, I plan on making a whole train out of these.
  5. M

    Tightlock couplers

    jeffrey-wimberly is correct. Above is a photo of the tightlock from the 1961 Car Builders Cyclopedia. A few more details about it: The type H was introduced in 1946 and made a requirement on new passenger equipment by letter ballot action in 1952 and effective Jan. 1, 1955. The H tightlock...
  6. M

    Tightlock couplers

    Does anyone make them? I've searched through most of the companies and havent found anything. I'm not talking about the "shelf" type, but the passenger type. Thanks!
  7. M

    E7 Coupler pockets

    Willis, Thanks for the PDF. I printed it out and will try it when I get time on Monday. Also Jim, Thanks for the follow up. Ill let you guys know how it worked.
  8. M

    E7 Coupler pockets

    I have two Bachman E7s that used the old horn & Hook system of coupler, and I have been trying to get some Kadee couplers into them, but they do not work, since there is only a pin sticking down. What is the easiest way to put Kadees on this locomotive? Also, a little off topic, has there...
  9. M

    Just wanna run trains

    I'd be careful running those well cars and Dash-9s on 23". I tried running my Nines and three single well cars and the whole thing came off. If you only run one locomotive and one or two cars, they might work, but again, be careful.
  10. M

    First Weathering Attempt

    I agree with Mike. Looks better than my first attempt, but try the stairs, and trucks/couplers when you get to them.
  11. M

    Beginner Mistakes

    Mine was buying a DDA40X for under a 100 bucks at a local swap meet. That thing cant even pull it self a .5% hill. I learned that the hard way. :rolleyes:
  12. M

    Coupler Uncoupler Bar

    Alright, thats the information I was looking for. Thanks Ken
  13. M

    Coupler Uncoupler Bar

    Has anyone here heard of cutting off the Uncoupler bar that hangs under the coupler? I have some on a pair of Dash-9s that I have, and i need to find a way to get rid of them, or hid them. Thanks in advance, John
  14. M

    Another Day on the CP Rail M & M Sub. (video)

    Its a very nice video. The one thing I noticed, there is a UP paint on a CP Rail engine? Never saw that before. Can anyone clear it up for me?
  15. M

    WPF: 03-07/08/09-08, Windy?

    This is really a friends layout, but since I run it more than he does, I consider it mine :rolleyes: Its a model of the NKP from Port Huron to Chicago. Sorry about the quality of the picture, I was using my cell phone. Better pictures (hopefully) in a few weeks. This a view of Belleview...
  16. M

    Modeling a minor Derailment

    Alright, thanks Jerome. I'll just play around with a few cars that I have here. If it turns out meh or above, I'll post some pictures.
  17. M

    Large layouts/yard space ?

    On the layout that I run on, the NKP from Belleview, OH to Chicago, IL, the owner of the layout has about 30x50 ft to model in. He has 30 foot yard tracks in Belleview, and 50 in Fort Wayne. Hope that helps.
  18. M

    Modeling a minor Derailment

    Theres one of the cars in a Derailment. Jerome, if you need more pictures, I have an entire email here, and will be more than happy to forward it to you.
  19. M

    Modeling a minor Derailment

    If you could do a project step by step. I'm trying to make a realistic scene at the layout I run on, and he approved a crushed car.
  20. M

    Modeling a minor Derailment

    True. Let me rephrase the question. Whats the best way to make a car or locomotive appear as if it was involved in a major derailment? Some thing like this. The picture, not the article.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top