Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. 4

    What is your age?

    29 here although the wife keeps reminding me I won't be in the twenties much longer. Probably cause I gave her a hard time a couple years ago. Oh well. For you "older" gents. I had an old pilot tell me when I was a young pilot that getting older beats the alternative. Another one told me...
  2. 4

    Club near Westfield, MA

    Looking for a club near Westfield, Mass. I know there is a group in manchester, CO but its a bit too far to drive. Anything nearby anyone knows about? I have a lot to learn and clubs seem like the way to go.
  3. 4

    Cutting Foam

    I used a jigsaw, a kitchen knife (still hearing it about that one), and i used a wire cutter. the wire cutter worked really well but things always seemed a little floaty after an hour of cutting. Guess I shoulda ventilated better. I thought the wire cutter was good but the wire kept...
  4. 4

    Can someone recommend a DCC Set

    for what its worth, I have been looking into DCC systems for quite awhile and still have not purchased one. I think I am going to go with NCEs starter set. I really like that you can hold and operate it with the thumb wheel and have your other hand free for something else.
  5. 4

    Modular Layout

    Anyone got any suggestions for building a modular layout? I am going to start construction on the new layout early in the new year. i am envisioning somehting that I can build in 4 to 6 foot modules so that when we eventually move I can easily move the layout and rebuild it in a new spot. I...
  6. 4

    Looking for Ballast Cars

    Hello We have spoken before on this line. Actually I saw some ballast cars that were orange and very like the ones at Trap rock with the expception that they had Amtrak on the side. i will probably go with these and find some way to get the appropriate labels and stuff. I heard the Solar...
  7. 4

    Looking for Ballast Cars

    So I'm looking for ballast cars that are orange with CSX markings. I am looking to model the trap rock industry in Westfield, MA. As I understand it this quarry supplies much of the ballast used throughout the northeast and will be a perfect inclusion in my model of the Boston and Albany...
  8. 4

    Modeling a Prototype

    I found some trackcharts that were actually free so that was very helpful. The only thing which seemed strange was that there is a section where the track goes down to a single main line in the area of Chester, Ma. The track chart still shows it as a double main line. I am not that meticulous...
  9. 4

    Modeling a Prototype

    Hi folks, I have asked a few questions along this line before but here is a specific one. I would like, eventually, to model the Berkshire subdivision of the CSX Boston and Albany Line. I am imaining a two tiered, point to point layout connected with a helix at the end of a peninsula with...
  10. 4

    Terminal Bus bar or Strip

    that's exactly what I need thanks
  11. 4

    Terminal Bus bar or Strip

    Thanks. I actually tried those. What I am looking for would allow one to hook up a positive wire from the transformer to the strip once. Then you could hook all your accessories's positive leads to the subsequent positions on that side of the strip. The opposite side of the strip would be...
  12. 4

    Terminal Bus bar or Strip

    Anyone know where to find a terminal bus bar or strip. Or does anyone know how to make one. Went to Radio Shack and Home Depot and they looked at me like I had two heads. Thanks
  13. 4

    Tortoise and LEDs

    yeah I'm going back and forth here. There is a good argument for switches at the location if you are walking around. I guess it matters really what you are looking for. For now it will be DC with switches on panels at appropriate locations and LEDs so I can see where a switch is without...
  14. 4

    Tortoise and LEDs

    Thanks again folks, i am learning how much there is to learn every time I ask a question. I am starting to lean away from a control panel as DCC is my intention. I woul dlike to run tortoise switch machines for the busy turnouts and for the ones I cannot reach. So if I go that route it...
  15. 4

    Tortoise and LEDs

    So you are saying to wait and wire the switches for DCC? If I have that right that would mean being able to control the switches from my DCC throttle from anywhere instead of having to wander over to a panel. Is that what you mean by an auxiliary controller? Thanks for all the info. i...
  16. 4

    Tortoise and LEDs

    Thanks for the info. I am running C for now but will be going DCC in the next few months. I believe that for simplicity I will keep the switch machines and any associated lights on DC. SO it loojs like I can wire these LEDs off a power supply and simply use a dropping resistor between my...
  17. 4

    Tortoise and LEDs

    Hi folks, Another newbie qqestion. I am planning on installing three tortoise switch machines on the layout. What I would like is that when the switches are in the mainline position a green LED on my control panel will illuminate and when the switch is in the turnout position an LED will...
  18. 4

    Double Crossover

    yeah the part I generally see is the Berkshire subdivision. Some double mainline and some single. I drive past the line where is crosses the Hudson a couple times a week and would really like to model the bridge which I belive is a double main line. Not sure how many scenes I can get on the...
  19. 4

    Double Crossover

    good point It looks like your avatar pic is from the boston commuter rail. Is that so? I am trying to model parts of the Boston and Albany Line. Don't know if it has any double crossovers or not though
  20. 4

    Double Crossover

    Hi folks I am looking at my new layout having two main lines all the way around the room. I am modeling a prototype which doesn't have double main all the way but I want a layout where you can let a couple of trains run without having to stop to let one go by. I am thinking about a...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top