Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. J

    Train Parts Mini Storage

    I'm just getting started in the hobby, so my needs are pretty low right now but I thought I'd share the first storage device I'm using. So far, not much in it but it is a great device. http://www.belamny.com/RolyKit.html The picture isn't great on that website but basically, this...
  2. J

    Even a blind rabbit finds a carrot sometimes

    Have any of you ever found some railroad treasures at garage sales? I use to go to some that were close by hunting for tools and such. At one, I found an old RR pocket watch for $5.00. I didn't even haggle but the woman told me it didn't work. When I got home, I wound it and it worked...
  3. J

    Train Movies

    Do you have any favorite train/railroad movies? I recently watched "Bound for Glory" and it was pretty cool seeing the old locomotives but it really wasn't a "train movie" just a movie with several train scenes.
  4. J

    Why is the hobby in trouble?

    True. I guess it's like a lot of hobbies; you can spend way too much. But, it seems this can be one of the more affordable hobbies. But, I am new to it and haven't gone wild yet. :D
  5. J

    Why is the hobby in trouble?

    As a newbie to the hobby I'm very shocked at how reasonable the prices in this hobby are. I guess I've been involved in other activities that are very expensive such as photography, golf, and biking. In comparison to them, my wife is actually glad I picked this hobby.
  6. J

    How high is your layout?

    I'm built my benchwork so the track would start about 35". I plan to be seated most of the time when working on the railroad but when I'm standing, I want to be god like and stare down on my creation.
  7. J

    Unusual trend in sales.

    Since Bernie is already 72, I don't think we have to worry too much about him only serving 1/2 of a 100 year sentence, though I think it was actually 150 years.
  8. J

    n vs. ho

    I also am starting my first layout. I went to a hobby shop to get a view of the sizes. I thought N would be better since my inital layout will be 4'x8' but I know my layout will eventually grow and decided to plan accordingly so am going with HO.
  9. J

    My FOURTH attempt. Attic... or basement?

    Our basement (old house) has a lot of crawlspace that has a concrete floor. As I expand my layout, I may incorporate the inner perimeter of this crawspace. I can only easily reach about two feet into this area but that gives me over 50 feet of run that could be very interesting.
  10. J

    My FOURTH attempt. Attic... or basement?

    Those temperatures won't make working up there very pleasant. A former owner of our house converted the attic to a bedroom/bath/office. It has a through the wall heat pump like those you find in a lot of motels. If it were an attic like that, it could work as long as you add some kind of HVAC...
  11. J

    Are you careful who you tell about being a model railroader?

    Try to meet with the activities director. I'd do that before talking with the residents about it. I think it would be cool. My Mother and my MIL are in assisted living and I find it's hard to get them interested in the provided activities so maybe something new and different would be nice...
  12. J

    HO questions; where to find...

    You guys make compelling arguments for starting off with DCC. My initial layout isn't going to be very complicated and I will only have one train. I'd say expansion won't happen for a couple of years. I'll be busy learning about layouts, scenery, trains, the works. In two years, I...
  13. J

    Are you careful who you tell about being a model railroader?

    No, not really. I've just used that expression with my wife and she knew I was joking. The couple of other people I've talked to about it, I've said my interest in probably more in the scenery modeling than in the trains. But yeah, I'm probably a bit self conscious about what others will...
  14. J

    Another new member

    It's "Working on the Railroad".
  15. J

    Laying track

    Is that available in HO?
  16. J

    Are you careful who you tell about being a model railroader?

    Being brand new to the hobby, I'm kind of nervous about discussing my new hobby with others. How does a 56 YO man tell his wife he wants to start playing with toy trains? I was shocked at how receptive she was to the idea, and how encouraging she has been. Other than that, I've only...
  17. J

    Another new member

    Hi All. My name is Jan (male, sorry about that), and I am new to the hobby. I'm 56 and don't know why, but all of the sudden I decided I wanted to play with trains. Never did as a kid, so go figure. Anyway, I've been reading some books, and lurking a lot. I've started my benchwork for...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top