Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. J

    Coal loads from foam

    Anyone else use foam to make coal loads? That's what I did for my modern unit train. Photos and thoughts about how I did it are posted on my blog at http://cprailmmsub.blogspot.com/ John Longhurst, Winnipeg
  2. J

    Ever cut up a perfectly good structure?

    Have you ever cut up a perfectly good structure? I did. I had a beautiful, built-up and painted Rico station. Problem was, it didn't fit where I needed it to fit. So I cut it length-wise and reassembled it as seen below. More text and photos on my blog at http://cprailmmsub.blogspot.com/...
  3. J

    Weekly Photo Fun 3/5 - 3/11

    A couple of shots from my CP Rail Manitoba & Minnesota Subdivision. John Longhurst, Winnipeg http://cprailmmsub.blogspot.com/
  4. J

    Layout height, or remember when you were a kid?

    If you had trains as a kid, you may have had them on the floor. If you were like me, you probably got down on your stomach for a railfan's view. I can still get that view today on my double-deck CP Rail M & M Sub.; half of the upper level is just below my eye-level, and the other half is...
  5. J

    February Car Exchange

    You mean like this? John
  6. J

    February Car Exchange

    Rick: Maybe that Adobe & Petaluma caboose should take a trip on the M & M Sub. Word of caution, though: All cabooses on the line are on one-way trips to you-know-where! John
  7. J

    Helper Action on the CP Rail M & M Sub.

    The CP Rail Manitoba & Minnesota Sub. never needs helpers. But then management sent a too-heavy train west. The old guys said it wouldn't work, but did they listen? The result: A helper had to be added at Fort Frances. When I heard the news, I grabbed my camera and headed out. Bonus: #5447...
  8. J

    The CP Rail M & M Sub. lifts its skirt

    The CP Rail Manitoba and Minnesota Subdivision lifts its skirt to show what's underneath--storage! A post by Jason Shron of Rapido Trains on some forums last week ("What a wife thinks about our hobby") got me thinking about the subject of compromise--specifically, how we work with our...
  9. J

    Article about the CP Rail M & M Sub.

    In December Railroad Model Craftsman published an article about my CP Rail Manitoba & Minnesota Subdivision. I've posted a slightly different version of that article, together with photos, on my blog at http://cprailmmsub.blogspot.com/ John Longhurst, Winnipeg
  10. J

    Video: Switching the CP Rail M & M Sub. Fort France yard

    Thanks. As for the music, I should have included that information. It's Peter Dent, a Canadian jazz and gospel pianist. More information at www.peterdent.com/
  11. J

    Video: Switching the CP Rail M & M Sub. Fort France yard

    Video: Switching the CP Rail M & M Sub. Fort Frances yard Fort Frances is a major division point on the CP Rail M & M Sub. All trains change crews there, and many drop off and pick up cars. On this video you can watch yard switcher SW9 #329 pick up cars from a mixed train going from Duluth...
  12. J

    Tour the CP Rail Manitoba & Minnesota Subdivision

    Steve: You can find over 20 videos of the CP Rail M & M Sub. on my YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/jdl562000 John
  13. J

    Tour the CP Rail Manitoba & Minnesota Subdivision

    I enjoy taking close-up photos on my CP Rail Manitoba & Minnesota layout, but sometimes it's nice to stand back and see the layout from a different perspective. If you want to see how the layout fits into my basement room, and where the tracks go, you can take a tour on my CP Rail Manitoba &...
  14. J

    Transformer loads.

    Here's a transformer project I am working on, using an old print cartridge. I have no idea what make or model it was for--I suspect it is one of the older type, since I've had it for a long time. As I get time and inspiration, I've been adding bits and pieces to it; eventually I will paint it a...
  15. J

    One of my favbourite railfan spots on the CP Rail M & M Sub.

    CP Rail "Red Barn" #9000 crosses the Rushing River on the CP Rail Manitoba & Minnesota Sub. The bridge over the Rushing River is one of my favourite railfan locations on the M & M Sub. I've posted more photos from that area, plus a bit of info about how I made the "water," on my blog at...
  16. J

    Some unique cars from my collection (plus the 1947 Friendship Train)

    A bit of showin' off, a bit of history. The Mennonite Central Committee boxcar above is one of 9 in my collection. How it came to be is an interesting story. 62 years ago this month, the Friendship Train was wending its way from Los Angeles to New York, loaded with donated food, medicine and...
  17. J

    Another "so ugly I had to model it" unit

    5449 started as DRGW 5402. It was wrecked and sold to NRE, then rebuilt and leased to CP Rail as NRE 5402. CP Rail bought it in 1994 and re-numbered it to 5449. It was relettered for CP Rail's subsidiary STLH in 1998 (as were 5447 and 5448). None of the three were ever painted into any CP Rail...
  18. J

    Another "so ugly I had to model it" unit

    Another installment in the series: "It was so ugly I had to model it." Actually, CP Rail 5448 was much uglier, but I didn't have a non-dynmaic brake shell, so I went with 5449. Which isn't really ugly, just sort of, well, plain. I need to finish the weathering (including that bare spot...
  19. J

    CP Rail Manitoba & Minnesota Subdivision in December RMC

    This is a different kind of showin' off . . . to see it, you'll have to buy the December issue of Railroad Model Crafstman. That's the issue that features my CP Rail Manitoba & Minnesota Subdivision layout. The article describes the layout, and provides photos and a trackplan. John...
  20. J

    It was so ugly, I just had to model it

    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but not many would find CP Rail 5447 attractive. Yet it has a certain kind of appeal, all the same--to me, at least. That's why I just had to model it and add it to my CP Rail Manitoba & Minnesota Subdivision roster. (It doesn't hurt that it fits my time...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top