Recent content by Wheels70

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. W

    Back with a new plan...feedback requested

    Okay, a few modifications have been made. First, Naples: (1) Elevation at Naples is 4.75 instead of 5 inches. I docked the surveyor a week's pay and made him recheck the whole line from Ithaca to Naples. ;) (2) Per CSX's suggestion, rearranged track by turntable to lengthen passing siding and...
  2. W

    Back with a new plan...feedback requested

    Hi CSX, (1) Yeah, I'm not so sure about the reach on those hidden sidings. I'm going to try a few experiments to see how well they work, and if they prove troublesome I have a couple alternative ideas in mind. And good guess on the grades, they are 2.4%. (2) Thanks. I will run a couple...
  3. W

    Back with a new plan...feedback requested

    I got some good feedback from my first set of posts here...and I've spent the past few weeks digesting that, reading, and coming up with a new track plan. Operationally, three locations are represented. The yard at the bottom is at Geneva, the industrial section above that is Ithaca, and the...
  4. W

    Back from the drawing board

    Okay I've been thinking about this all day, and I've either had an inspiration or a brain fart -- hopefully an inspiration. I'm going to approach this from a different angle: rather than see how much yard trackage I can fit, I'm going to spot some cars, put together some train orders, and then...
  5. W

    Back from the drawing board

    Bob, no offense taken. I admit your comment stung for a moment (Oh! My wounded pride!) but when I looked at my plan had to laugh. And "Uncle Bob's Sauces" is definitely going to be part of the plan! Okay everyone, I have made a few changes to the two most recent plans, I appreciate any...
  6. W

    Back from the drawing board

    Thanks again for the feedback, all. So much to learn...and I haven't even put down a piece of track yet! I've spent an hour or so reading about sure spots and some other operational concepts, and I am going to do some more studying and then go back to the drafting table (aka laptop equipped with...
  7. W

    Back from the drawing board

    Hey Stein, you just made my day with that post. One long spur, several industries. Operational interest, less track and more space for structures. Yes! BTW, that URL you posted looked familiar, and so did the name. So I had a look -- and it turns out that track plan was the one I picked as a...
  8. W

    Back from the drawing board

    Here's a bit more of the backstory and my goals. After tossing out a good chunk of my last design, I put together something that had a lot less track. Then I put trains on it and ran them (in Xtrkcad). Operationally, it was (for me) a disaster. I could do a little switching but for the most...
  9. W

    Back from the drawing board

    After spending quite a lot of time designing and redesigning my layout, I decided I ought to run some virtual trains on it. Lesson learned: you ain't got a layout if you can't run your trains. So I'm fresh back from the drawing board with a slight (ha ha) revision. This time, I ran trains on it...
  10. W

    Help me choose a yard layout

    Thanks Rico. I also like the possibility for loads-in-empties-out, both in the rural and industrial areas, it's been part of my vision from the start :). As for that facing switch, I do have a runaround in the industrial area to handle that. I'm not entirely happy about it though; it may have...
  11. W

    Help me choose a yard layout

    Thanks to everyone for their comments! I ought to have said something before, but I was always just on the verge of posting the new version and then realizing it would be improved by just a couple of minor changes.... I'm sure some of you know the story :). But here it is finally, the latest...
  12. W

    Designing problems

    I had a brief go with RTS a while back and didn't care for it. So now I'm using Xtrkcad to design my layout. Others will chime in with their favorite software I'm sure. Whichever you pick, there's a learning curve. So it's best to pick one that's got what you need from the start. I hardly...
  13. W

    Good Switching layout examples?

    It might help if you have more specific questions...? Thomas
  14. W

    Good Switching layout examples?

    Hi Jeff, I'd start by Googling for "track plans". I've done this and looked at a lot of track plans over the past couple months as I've started designing my layout. Eventually I found one that I liked as a starting point, and created an Xtrkcad model of it. Then I started changing things...
  15. W

    Help me choose a yard layout

    Fixed, I think.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top