Recent content by StarikIgolkin

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. StarikIgolkin

    Yet another newbie

    That was a fun test, thanks. I was able to pick the pencil without knocking anything over with up to 40" from edge of the cup close to me to the pencil behind second cup. Does that mean I can increase the planned width a couple of inches? What would be the disadvantage of removing the...
  2. StarikIgolkin

    Yet another newbie

    Because I want to stay married? :rolleyes: More seriously, because 3x6 I can put in the corner, and while it's not easy, I'm tall enough to reach over 3 feet. 4x8 will not fit into the space I have available for it, and will need more space as it will need clearance on all sides to walk around...
  3. StarikIgolkin

    Yet another newbie

    Got it. OK, going manual then, now I have a bunch of remote switches to sell. eBay, here I come :) I looked at Caboose site, they have some very nice looking throws, I really like the way their high level stand looks. OK, the quarry line is gone. The two short stubs in rear corners were...
  4. StarikIgolkin

    Yet another newbie

    So, you have to manually flip them? - that seems to be a lot of flipping for switching work. They are not remote mechanical, right?
  5. StarikIgolkin

    Yet another newbie

    Just when I thought I was getting close :D Chip, thanks for the response, I have a couple of questions: :) I saw a lot of sites mention Caboose Industries switches, which look real nice, but they seem manual - is there a way to combine them with some sort of remote? Is everyone doing DCC...
  6. StarikIgolkin

    Yet another newbie

    Jim, I think I understand what you suggest - is this it? I've re-designated one of the industries as quarry - that would work better with the hills and give bigger nature area. Does this look ok? And another question - where in the yard is a good place for magnetic uncoupler(s)?
  7. StarikIgolkin

    Yet another newbie

    Thanks, Jim Maybe "Park" was poor choice of words, I meant that this would be more of nature scenery than urban or industrial. I've added some color to show where I thought area boundaries would be. What do you think? I'm uncomfortable about two things here - that a/d track is in park area...
  8. StarikIgolkin

    Yet another newbie

    Took me a while due to some real life interference. Chip, Jim, I see what you meant about RTS now - XTrkCad is MUCH better. Jim, I didn't figure out how to make the yard double-ended, but I did make some (hopefully improving) changes to it, based on information here. Note: Main line...
  9. StarikIgolkin

    Yet another newbie

    I'll look at XtrkCAD tonight, thanks. Does the "half the space" statement still hold if I'm planning to mostly use sectional track? (after few days on eBay I probably have more Atlas sectional track than this layout needs :( ) Though I have some Bachmann switches that seem to have better...
  10. StarikIgolkin

    Yet another newbie

    Chip, the Hogwart's layout looks very cool, and the stock is very impressive. The "Draco" car almost cost me a keyboard :D OK, I may have gotten a little carried away with RTS today. Here're two potential layouts: 1. This one is based on Great N-Pire Railroad from the book by Kent Wood...
  11. StarikIgolkin

    Yet another newbie

    Crandell, UP2CSX, thank you, these are great points, and another reason I was somewhat concerned about the octopus. In the original 4-table plan I was thinking that one would have nature settings - forest and mountains, the other - town, third - industrial, and fourth - the yard. Now I'm...
  12. StarikIgolkin

    Yet another newbie

    This is what was bothering me about the octopus, but I couldn't quite put it into words. OK, I think I'll stop looking for ready layouts and try to design one myself, using some of the ideas in your contests, but in smaller space than solid 4x8. Thanks
  13. StarikIgolkin

    Yet another newbie

    OK, after some very creative negotiations with the missus , I'm looking at 4x4 layouts. The ones I found that look reasonable are the Octopus from Atlas and Tom Roscoe's Fourbye Junction What do you think?
  14. StarikIgolkin

    Coffeeville, PA

    This looks very nice. What's the size of the Coffeeville? :)
  15. StarikIgolkin

    What Other Hobbies do you have?

    Most of my spare time is spent at fencing practices and tournaments. I also participate in a few renaissance faires in the summer. But both of these are more of a way of life than hobbies for me :)




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top