Recent content by Rustolum

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. R

    First attempt at weathering a box car.

    Yeah I agree its looks shinny in that picture. Thats from the flash. I dont really know how to use my wifes camra. lol. In hand theres no glossy spots. Maybe after I add some rust spots. I can get a better pic.
  2. R

    First attempt at weathering a box car.

    I just thought see what you guys thought of this, my first attempt at weathering a box car. Its not 100% done just yet. I still need to add some rust spots and do the wheel area. I didnt think to get pictures of it new before I started to work on it. But heres what it looked like new...
  3. R

    Ballast size

    In reply to first post. If you live near a beach? Use staind sand. I used to build a lot of dioramas years ago and found that regular beach sand workd great for stuff like rail rock oe gravel roads. The greyish color is pretty easy to obtian. Grab a little jar of grey acrylic paint. ( costs...
  4. R

    New to Model Trains. Looking for advice.

    Thanks again Jim. I like that thing, even If I cant use it for my boy. I might grab one or two for other things. :)
  5. R

    What is this...

    Or it could be a fumigation notice. Some times freights get fumigated with Phosphine gas. Edit to add: But after taking a closer look. I dont think it is. Looks more like a Quality Control statement.
  6. R

    CP Rail Covered Hopper

    If you cant find one. Id say make one. Those closed grey hopper are pretty common. Im sure you could find the decals. Im looking for a black CPRail Cylindrical Hopper like this one. But for a good price.
  7. R

    New to Model Trains. Looking for advice.

    Jim can you show me what kind of lamp switch your talking about? I looked at some and couldnt find one I think would work for my son.
  8. R

    New to Model Trains. Looking for advice.

    I just found this. http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/Switching/reverse.htm and this. http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN4927 Maybe this will make more sence to someone llike yourself Western Star. But Does that look like what i might need to make a single...
  9. R

    New to Model Trains. Looking for advice.

    I hope the motor I ordered is good enough. But im not holding my breath. I also have a different RC motor on its way from a friend of mine. But I am 90% sure its not going to work out the way id like. Its from a RC helicopter. Thats where I came up with useing a PC fan speed switch. I wanted...
  10. R

    An SP Boxcar

    Oh you know I will. Im boucen all over these forums. Theres so much cool stuff I can learn and see on here. Its almost overwhelming.
  11. R

    New to Model Trains. Looking for advice.

    Im so new to Model trains. I dont even know what a X10 home automation or X10 control module is? I do have much to learn. But before I talk myself into sounding very stupid. Im going to go read up more on what a X10 home automation is and does. Thank you for the reply.
  12. R

    New to Model Trains. Looking for advice.

    Hi guys,Thank you all so much for the ideas and help. I wanted to reply yesterday. But was unable. After thinking a little bit more about the situation and after looking at the trains throttle. I thought of another idea. This idea makes it so I dont face a risks of jolting the train at start...
  13. R

    An SP Boxcar

    Jim aka UP2CSX. Thanks so much for the reply. That was a great little bit of info I didnt know.
  14. R

    An SP Boxcar

    Is that what they used to use as a type of autorack?
  15. R

    New to Model Trains. Looking for advice.

    Here is a image I made up quick to help explain what I have at this point to work with at this point.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top