ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
M
So after successfully procrastinating for a week or two, while I worked on other parts of my layout, I've now successfully used the DH163 to connect the turntable to the Zephyr as Loco 3. Thanks for the help and suggestions on that Keith.
My next issue with this is: how do I connect it as a...
-
M
Thanks Keith - I'm printing both of your posts so when I can actually sit down to do this, I'll get it right. Worst case, burning out a $24 decoder wouldn't be so bad - as opposed to frying the Zephyr or a loco for example - bt I wouldn't say it's an ambition!
But printing everything out and...
-
M
Thanks for the tips - I appreciate that. I'm just getting to really understand CV's, issues between vendors and all sorts of confusing stuff around this "standard".
And since we have only basic DCC loco's, we'll probably go out this weekend and buy one with sounds, several lights, and the other...
-
M
I'm sure I'll get to add throttles soon, but in my case, I still have to finish my layout - lots of work to do..... But they make some cool add-ons. And it even seems like my Bachmann DC power units can act as additional throttles through the jump ports....
-
M
I think you've got it right on te money SnowMan - thanks very much for your post! I bought 2 Atlas 3-switch units and "chained" them together with the metal plates that come with them. I also got track joiner to wire things from Atlas which I will wire back to the switches - these will let me...
-
M
That's absolutely right - when I set up my Bachmann EZ-Command, I had to switch the forward and reverse directions. That unit doesn't directly deal with CV's, just a sequence of keys (I forget what) to make that happen. So changing it back makes sense.
What's now really surprising is that...
-
M
Thanks for all the extra help and the reference info - all printed out and filed where I keep my train stuff.
It turns out that we were trying to set CV 29 to 7, when it need to be set to 6. So that's done. Happy about that and that I now have the means to make a programming track.
Apparently...
-
M
I'm printing out the thread mentioned (thanks!) and am also now looking at what the Zephyr manual has for NDOT - I think I've got it and will now call Digitrax again and work through it - more to come! Thanks for the help!
-
M
Well, I spoke to Tech Support at DigiTrax and he took me through trying to change the CV 29 value to 7 to reverse the direction, but no go. And, of course, Bachmann is closed today for the holiday (bah Humbug - I'm trying to play with my holiday toys here!) so I can't find out if their...
-
M
I should also add that my turnout positions are also all backward, i.e. a closed turnout is showing as "t" on the Zephyr, not "c".
Worst case, I'll be up early to call DigiTrax and have them help me in the morning.....
-
M
I thought it was very, very good for a first DCC unit. The most important issue, it seems to me (who has very little experience) is just whether you'll outgrow it too quickly. It should handle 8 DCC turnouts, and I think (theoretically) 9 locomotives, however while you could program that many...
-
M
OK, admittedly, nothing worse than the owner of a new toy, when they're old enough to speak, and use a computer on a forum - apologies and thanks in advance!
Brought my Zephyr home today, got my loco's working right away, just programmed my 10 turnouts (cool and very easy - and their KB is...
-
M
Just a note to say I bought the Digitrax Zephyr today. Got my already programmed loco's working right away, and also the non-DCC Thomas the Train for my son (we won't be using that much now that we also have the Shrek Holiday Train.... and I was smart enough to switch the cover of the Shrek for...
-
M
We actually got the Atlas one (http://www.atlasrr.com/Images/Track/Trackphotos/305.GIF) and the motor that goes with it. Since I just bought a DigiTrax Zephyr today, this will probably be on a back burner for a few days til I master the courage to face it again. All the wiring alone makes me...
-
M
Can anyone suggest the best way to connect Bachmann track to an Atlas Turntable (with the motor)?
And also how to connect the Digitrax Zephyr to the turntable to make it turn?
And how to power the other (non mainline) tracks coming off the turntable?
Thanks in advance. This confuses the hell...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)