Recent content by mikeingeorgia

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. M

    Ditch Lights - Front Only or Front and Rear?

    The ditch lights are required if you wish to run over 20 mph over road crossings. Since most railroads want their trains to run over 20 mph typically on an engine intended for through freight (faster speeds) service you would have ditch lights on the front only, since the engine will normally...
  2. M

    train going through floodwaters

    If we "encounter unexpected high water" we're supposed to slap the throttle down to idle, flip the generator field switch open, then slap the throttle back to Number 8. Theoretically the traction motor blowers will hopefully blow enough air down through the traction motors to keep the water out...
  3. M

    Pennsy steam era steel business

    I've found a few copies online of that Dean Freytag book, :eek: , what's it printed on golden fleece?
  4. M

    Pennsy steam era steel business

    Hey all, I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction. I would like some recommendations of good reference material pertaining to the Pennsy steam era serving steel mills. Photos of the freight cars would be especially helpful as I already have lots of photos of the...
  5. M

    What do 3- or 4-bay covered hoppers carry...

    Sometimes I switch a Nestle Purina plant that makes petfood and they get 3 bay covered hoppers of powdered "cattle products". They always come in BNSF or predecessor roads cars. How you powder a cow I'm almost afraid to ask but they figured it out. :eek: Another place receives roofing...
  6. M

    Questions about CSX and prototypes in general

    Just south of Atlanta there's an interesting business that gets 3 bay open top hoppers full of broken glass. The glass comes in all colors but normally the entire car will be filled with the same color of glass. The glass is ground up and used to make home insulation. The cars are unloaded by...
  7. M

    Pricey Power

    I did something with my train collection just the opposite of what the real railroads do with their engines. They usually replace theirs 2 new for 3 old. They get more power, and less fuel consumption and better reliability, not to mention fewer engines to maintain. I had a fleet of relatively...
  8. M

    Number of Freight Cars Required

    Here's an interesting bit of info straight from a professional railroading magazine. The average 50' boxcar in unassigned service only makes 2 revenue trips (loaded) per YEAR. In assigned service it probably gets about 6 trips. Something in unit train service can probably get 2 trips a month...
  9. M

    Minimum radius for a J1?

    Ok, thanks. I took it to one guys house and we tried to run it but it couldn't make it around the curves. He said he wasn't sure what his minimum radius was, so I wasn't sure.
  10. M

    Can you spare a tanker?

    There would have been clerks that kept track lists to know where each and every car was located. It's labor intensive and time consuming but it is accurate. I'm an engineer for a class 1 railroad and there is one yard that we used to have a clerk that kept up with every car in the yard. Then...
  11. M

    Minimum radius for a J1?

    Do any of you know what the minimum turning radius is for a BLI J1 2-10-4?
  12. M

    Where to find track planning software?

    I had another thought on the matter and figured I'd ask before I got to far along. Since the track planner lets you tell it what type of track you are using, where is the track made from the different manufacturers? Since I get to be Superintendent of my own railroad, I get to pick the suppliers...
  13. M

    Where to find track planning software?

    Thanks guys, I downloaded Xtrkcad and plan to take the tutorial before I get started. I'll keep you posted, Mike
  14. M

    Adding a second main update

    Do you have any more pics of the rest of the layout? I'm interested in building a two level layout and am looking for ideas, Mike
  15. M

    Where to find track planning software?

    Hey all, I'm planning on finally building my first true layout and was wondering if there is a layout track planning program that would help me? I have a general idea of what I want but would like to have firmer plans before I start cutting lumber. First off, the room is 10' x 10' 6". Not too...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top