Recent content by Mark22

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. M

    Ideas for a New Layout

    The latest tweaked plan. I removed the #5 from the mainline and replaced it with a #6 and still kept the radii to the spurs at 20". The yard is short, but I can always build a fold down staging extension.
  2. M

    Ideas for a New Layout

    That's a good idea, but it's a pretty major change. I've already build the frames for my benchwork and spaced the frame out based roughly on this plan. I like the tunnel in the NW corner because it breaks the scene up and gives the illusion that the train has traveled farther than it really has...
  3. M

    Ideas for a New Layout

    The latest version. I made a few changes in some spots and moved some things around slightly so that it would be easier to lay out the track center lines. I added an extra bridge and road underpass and re-arranged the southern station layout.
  4. M

    Ideas for a New Layout

    Ah, OK. I'm on the same page as you guys now. Not planning on running much if any passenger service. I don't even own a passenger car. The mainline curves are 22" R in several spots, so I don't think any passenger cars would look right. Any thoughts on benchwork? I'm thinking open grid with...
  5. M

    Ideas for a New Layout

    Yeah, the gray box is a parking lot. The station is next to the parking lot. I wanted to have the road cross the main line at least once. I've got a good idea to build a grade crossing flasher circuit for $5 and I want to have at least one place to use it. What is "pax" trains?? Local delivery...
  6. M

    Ideas for a New Layout

    The brown boxes to the south of the station are a coal and water tower to service locos coming off of the turntable. I'm not really sure I even need the small siding in front of the southern station. I don't think I can get it to loop around with a curved switch either, so I might just get rid...
  7. M

    Ideas for a New Layout

    Made some changes based on Cajon's recommendations. It was tricky to get it all to fit nicely, but I like how it came out. I might accidentally start on benchwork this weekend.
  8. M

    Ideas for a New Layout

    Yes, the yard isn't up against a wall. The north and east side of the plan will be up against a wall in the corner of the room. A lot of people have said to get rid of the turntable, but its pretty high up on my "gotta have" list. I'll make a few changes as cajon suggested and post a revised...
  9. M

    Ideas for a New Layout

    So, I'm bringing back an old thread here. I started this design last spring, but never made it much farther than a design. My wife and I thought we might move to a different city, so I put the whole project on hold. Now we've decided to stay in our house of the long haul, so that leaves me to...
  10. M

    Ideas for a New Layout

    That part of the layout is on the open side. You will be able to access both sides. Check back towards the first of the thread, I posted a drawing of the room. The north and east will be up against walls. The southeast corner is angled to avoid a window.
  11. M

    Ideas for a New Layout

    Check out the redesigned layout. I did it with SCARM CAD software. I also added a runaround track on the branchline. A mining operation will be at the end of the branchline. The town will be just above the yard on the left side. The mainline will rise at a 3.5% +/- grade above the rest of the...
  12. M

    Ideas for a New Layout

    My current layout is the one I first started with as a kid, so it's +15 years old. Its been rebuild once already and I've got it set up for DCC. I really want to rebuild it because the track plan was not very good and the entire layout is way to big to move. I've thought about N scale, but I've...
  13. M

    Ideas for a New Layout

    Thanks for the help! I am aware that the BN wasn't formed until 1970. I plan to use the DRG&W as a reference, but my railroad is entirely fictional, so I'm bending history a little. I figure as long as I don't bend history too much and it is still plausible, then my railroad will keep the...
  14. M

    Ideas for a New Layout

    Hello everyone! This is my first post here and I could use some input on my plans for a new layout. I have a 4x8 layout that I designed in high school, but it just isn't quite what I want. I've decided to tear it down and start over. I have a few things that I want in a new layout for sure: 1) A...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top