Recent content by lawfultoad

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. L

    New Member from the Chicago 'burbs

    Hi Don, I'm just now starting my first layout and also in Chicago (Plainfield). Welcome. Brett
  2. L

    Train and Model Advice - NC&StL

    Hi Everyone, After a very long time thinking about it, and another drive through Chattanooga on my way to Florida, I've decided to model the early years of the Nashville, Chattanooga & StLouis RR. Before I do any damage from random purchases, I wanted to open this up to the very knowledge...
  3. L

    Ebay trick for winning

    I don't know what's crazy about having a conversation on the internet about ebay? I know I'm new here but 'uhoh someone said ebay let's stop them from talking about' sounds a little over the top.
  4. L

    What do you do for a living?

    principal software engineer for a fortune 500 retailer. too many years to go before i take on my dream job....retiree.
  5. L

    Bulk Track

    Does anyone have any tips on how to save a few bucks buying bulk track? I'm new to the hobby and have a 13x13 room I need to buy track for. Before I buy massive amounts of 36" ho 83 flex track I was hoping to get some advice on how I may save a buck or two. I think my LHS price was around...
  6. L

    Obligatory New to Hobby Thread

    What's a good price for code 83 flex track? Since I'm brand new I will be buying large quantities at once.
  7. L

    Obligatory New to Hobby Thread

    Thanks Jim. I had looked on modeltrainstuff.com before but it looked like of the 200+ entries returned for F7 there were a couple Milwaukee Road diesels that were not dcc ready/equipped. The hard part is going through every shop online through their 200 or more entries looking for one model...
  8. L

    Obligatory New to Hobby Thread

    Anybody want to help me shop? I need one or two locos, dcc equipped or dcc ready, Milwaukee Road or Illinois Central. :) I have a hard time shopping on some of these MRR sites, I don't have the patience to browse through 18 pages in one sitting.
  9. L

    Obligatory New to Hobby Thread

    Also, is it okay to buy used flex track or should I only buy new?
  10. L

    What is your age?

    I'm 31 and just getting started.
  11. L

    Obligatory New to Hobby Thread

    More ignorant questions from yours truly. I'm looking at buying my first loco. I stumbled across a Milwaukee Road f7 but I don't know what the differences are. What is the first distinguishing five digit number (40593) and is #72 just the engine number? Proto 2000 HO 40593 EMD F7A-B Set...
  12. L

    Alright, which 6 of you did this?

    http://www.policeoracle.com/news/6-DIY-Train-Buffs-Arrested_20957.html Train buffs are facing jail after building their own ramshackle locomotive and taking it on the public rail network. The six-seater train - made out of garden furniture and salvaged train parts - was powered by an...
  13. L

    Obligatory New to Hobby Thread

    So I'm to paint the backdrop on the drywall?
  14. L

    How Many Couplers?? ;)

    My guess is 230. (Nice game!)
  15. L

    Obligatory New to Hobby Thread

    But I'm so excited to get started on the trains! ;)




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top