ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
K
That's a nice looking engine. Praries and Atlantics are my 2 favorite steamers. I just picked up a couple of Bachmann 0-6-0T's though. I don't really like tank engines but they're small enough to run nicely on a 4x8 and I've kind of settled on modelling the Mojave Northern.
Cheers,
Ken
-
K
Good luck finding anything in S Scale. If you don't mind narrow gauge, a Tyco 4-4-0, 4-6-0, or a Roundhouse Mogul can be converted to an Sn3 (or Sn42) locomotive fairly easily and I think an older issue of Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette had an article on converting HO Scale Roundhouse...
-
K
Actually there is nothing wrong with 4x8 layouts. Even in HO you can fit in a decent amount of scenery and track, and they give you something a lot of shelf layouts don't - continuous running. Start with something simple like the Alkali Central to get experience. You can always incorporate it...
-
K
You're right, they are too small
I think your thoughts on HO and especially N Scale being too small are spot on. I love HO Scale but lately I've been moving towards S Scale (both American Flyer and scale). Of the choices you mention I'd prefer Lionel to LGB. One question I have is if you decide...
-
K
I think the treatment is called alodine. It's available here:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/alodine1201.php
There prices seem OK, some places I saw wanted $80/gallon.
Cheers,
Ken
-
K
Other hobbies...
* Model airplanes (RC and control line)
* Model rockets
* Old cars (mostly 60's Mopar stuff)
* 8 bit computers (COSMAC Elf, C-64, etc)
* electronic projects
* gardening
* photography
* guns
* rock collecting
* drinking beer
Cheers,
Ken
-
K
A Milwaukee Road H10-44 (I'm into SP and Santa Fe), 3 brass SP Mountains in S scale (no room for an S scale layout). They sure look cool though.
Cheers,
Ken
-
K
I'm modeling the SP Jawbone branch and narrow gauge (Owens Valley) in S scale. I also have a lot of HO and someday I'd like to model SP/UP operations around Sacramento. Other interests are Sn42, American Flyer, and collecting Tyco train stuff (and Roundhouse/MDC, Athearn, etc...). Anyone else...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)