Recent content by jerrytbirdsc

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. J

    blue line 4-8-4

    I just purchased the Blue Line ATSF #3754 4-8-4. I did a quick test on some Atlas snap track with 18" curves and had it throw the front four pilot and even the first set of drivers once or twice. Biggest problem I had was on a rerailer that is 18". I was thinking about buying some new track...
  2. J

    Athearn RTR, DCC Ready?

    The GP35 will have a circuit board for the lights and NMRA 9 Pin DCC "Quick Plug.". I use NCE D13SRJ decoders on my Athearn RTR, they work good for me and are around $15 discounted, there is even a guy selling these for around that shipped. Basically any deooder witha 9 pin socket will work...
  3. J

    Has anybody used Dr. Mikes Forumla 2 super glue

    Has anybody used Dr. Mikes Forumla 2 super glue? Here is the link to Micro-Mark website. This is supposed to glue Derlin and Accetal resin parts. Anybody use this to repair locomotive detail parts that are plastic?
  4. J

    delicate handrails, details and flimsy trucks

    It's been 20 years since I was in the hobby, and I am used to Athearn wire handrails. It seems to me that the new stuff is too delicate to handle. I have been doing some repair work on a Proto 2000 GP7. I got the model second hand and it ran very slow and had a very high starting voltage...
  5. J

    Weekend Photo Fun 1-9/1-12

    Please e-mail me a higher res shot, I would love to make this my desktop background. Love the shot, great work. [email protected] Jerry
  6. J

    Hardly any DCC equipped diesels on ebay?

    With DCC being around for quite some time now, I'm suprised that there isn't more used locos with DCC already installed selling on ebay. Is it that people with DCC want to keep their stuff or that people wont buy used locos with DCC already installed because of the elctronics? Most stuff I see...
  7. J

    My first experience with Athearn's RTR line

    I just got a new Athearn RTR AC4400 and a 54' FMC covered hopper. This is my first experience with buying a Athearn RTR line. I have a collection of 20 year old Athearn Blue Box line of locos and cars and was dismayed to find that had went to the RTR line and with an increase in cost...
  8. J

    New life for old Athearn Dummies??

    I can do that with the GE U30B as the frame is really open and the truck will go either way, but the GP38-2 trucks only go one way due to the way the frame is made. I like your outside the box thinking, that's what I was looking for to get some other ideas. So I can convert the U boat with...
  9. J

    New life for old Athearn Dummies??

    Nevermind, Horizon is out of stock on all trucks powered or not. Guess I will have to wait until China production is up and BB kits and parts return if ever. I will scour ebay for old Athearn powered units for parts. Thanks guys, Jerry
  10. J

    New life for old Athearn Dummies??

    Looking on their website it seems the GE-B units only have three part numbers for trucks: 34021 GEB POWER TRUCK FRONT 1 $7.50 34022 GEB POWER TRUCK REAR 1 $7.50 34023 GEB DUMMY TRUCK 1 $6.00 Where as the six axle GE-C units have four part numbers: 34212 GEC POWER TRUCK FRONT 1...
  11. J

    New life for old Athearn Dummies??

    Well the plastic wheels always seemed to have a lot of friction to them, I'll clean them up and see if it helps. I would still like to have metal wheels though. Here are a few pictures of the trucks off of the two dummy locos. As you can see in the last picture all four trucks are the same...
  12. J

    New life for old Athearn Dummies??

    I have some 20 year old Athearn BB Locos and dummies that I am refurbishing and running on top of my ping pong table for the Holidays. I have two dummy locos: GE U30B and a GP38-2. As a kid with no money the idea of buying dummy locos seemed like a brilliant idea. Today I have realised that...
  13. J

    Begginer with an HO lay out

    I just got my old Athearn cars and locos out of storage, been in the barn for 20 years. My 3 year old nephew was so excited and unbeliveable patient when running the throttle and running the trains. I just made a simple loop on my ping pong table and ran trains. I think a lot of Model...
  14. J

    Cleaning Wheels

    I got my old Athearn BB HO cars and locos out of a 20 year storage and tried to clean them up. I wanted to setup a simple loop on my ping pong top for my nephew for Christnas. The Athearn loco wheels were oxidised and needed a good cleaning. I tried an old t-shirt soaked in TV tuner cleaner...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top