Recent content by jaltbaum

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. J

    24" radius question

    So, in reevaluating my layout concept I have come to a possible conclusion that I may only have 24" in which to allow a 180 degree turn for my tracks. Can "N" scale make proper turns with only 24" (12" radius)?
  2. J

    N Scale questions for you experts!!!

    Excellent responses. This is why I really enjoy this forum. My goal for my layout is to allow two completely separate trains to run without the chance of them interrupting each other, unless of course I switch them to the same track. My dream would be to have three going at the same time, but...
  3. J

    N Scale questions for you experts!!!

    The locos I have are certainly not DCC ready, they are about 8-10 years old, but most have never been used and are still in the box. I love my locos! However, I think selling and buying new DCC ready ones may be where I have to go... not sure yet though...
  4. J

    N Scale questions for you experts!!!

    I have searched the forums and found some basic information but I figured I would ask again. I have found this forum exceptional when I researched some of my questions and frankly the hobby shops in my area say they know everything about N scale, but when I go to the stores, they have a...
  5. J

    Elevation question

    This is why I asked the experts... So, I will do a helix for my upper level and do the canyon recessed below grade... this should work out perfect... maybe I only need to go up 6" or a tad less then... thankfully I have a ton of room for the helix... I want to be able to have 3 tracks going...
  6. J

    Elevation question

    I think I am going the helix route. I am trying to go up one foot, so I will need a ton of track... But this creates a new question... In "N" Scale, what is the safest radius for a helix? I plan on running deisel locos, but honestly I would like toe be able to run a Big Boy on my layout just...
  7. J

    Elevation question

    Elevation Wow, you asked the right question!!! So, I needed to ask my question better. My goal is to have my trains go into a tunnel (hidden from view) and go up up up up up until it is in a mountain type area, come out of a tunnel, cross a bridge that is seemingly much higher than the other...
  8. J

    Elevation question

    I should be able to do this, I did graduate college, but I have a question for everyone regarding elevation. I am planning an "N" scale layout which is an 8'x4' length wise in an L shape butted up against a 6'x4'. I plan on having the track rise at a two degree angle for six feet. My question...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top