Recent content by Hudson1

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. H

    My first scratchbuilt building.

    Well done! I especially like the realistic gravel roof and the rusty vent caps - it would have been easy to leave the vents out because it is a narrow background building but you went the extra distance and it paid off. Nice job.
  2. H

    4 x 10 Inquiry, HO

    Chuck, I am currently building a 4x10. (I agree with Stein that an around-the-walls configuration is a better use of space. But it was not an option for me in light of other uses of the room.) I actually started with a 4x8 but tore it down and rebuilt the benchwork to 4x10. I can say from...
  3. H

    My first scratch built structure

    Thanks guys for the kind words.
  4. H

    BNSF Announces Heritage Program

    I love these! Thanks for posting them! I especially like the Great Northern one--somebody should paint and decal one of these in HO and then post photos! What would look really cool would be a GN one with the Rocky logo REALLY big--kind of like what UP did with their Western Pacific heritage unit.
  5. H

    My HO layout

    I forgot to add--the mountain/tunnel was covered with Woodland Scenics plaster cloth--very easy to use!
  6. H

    My HO layout

    Thanks for the nice comments guys! Joed2323: the solder stand is just coathanger wire wound around a broomstick and then screwed to some scrap wood--I was motivated to make it after getting burned (literally) a couple of times! The mountain/tunnel is built partly on rolled up newspaper...
  7. H

    My HO layout

    Some construction photos showing progress to date on my HO scale layout, the Purgatory Creek & Northern. Layout is 4'x10' and based loosely on an old Atlas track plan, the Great Eastern Trunk (I eliminated one of three tracks on one end and everything inside the oval is different). Track is...
  8. H

    My first scratch built structure

    My first scratch built structure: Purgatory Creek depot, built from card and strip wood in HO scale. Windows and doors are pictures printed out on card stock; outer window and door frames are strip wood. Shingles are cut out from construction paper and painted Polly Scale Grimy Black. Chimney...
  9. H

    Poll: Do you use decals?

    Scordicus & Tom, Thanks for the comments. They are helpful. Yes, the tender is black, so I guess I will be looking into ordering some custom decals for my home roadname--at least for locomotive tenders. I used white dry transfers for lettering a few years back and they come out alright...
  10. H

    Favorite Train movie

    "The General," an old Civil War flick starring Buster Keaton. Lots of amazing stunts (no computerized special effects in those days) on early American 4-4-0s. It's a silent movie but don't let that put you off. It shows up on Turner Classic Movies from time to time.
  11. H

    Poll: Do you use decals?

    I have used microscale decals and occasionally dry transfers. I have not had much success with making my own decals. I tried the Testor's decal paper with my HP inkjet printer. The printing comes out so thin, the image is almost transparent when I slide it off the backing paper. When I tried...
  12. H

    Walthers 90' Turntable

    Thanks very much for the suggestions--they are all helpful. I just ordered the TT kit online today but using that template I may be able to have the hole cut, or at least the approach & storage tracks drawn in, by the time it arrives. I'm glad to hear I can do it with a drill & a jigsaw--I was...
  13. H

    Walthers 90' Turntable

    I just ordered the Walthers 90" turntable. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to cut a perfectly round hole in the subroadbed? After drawing the correct size circle using a pencil and string, I was thinking of just drilling some starter holes, cutting a rough circle with a saber saw...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top