Recent content by GMTrainNut

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. G

    Silver on Athearn Cab Side Windows

    Some great ideas, thanks. I finished that last project by hand painting the frames, but from this point forward I'll use one of the several great tips given here!
  2. G

    Silver on Athearn Cab Side Windows

    Bob, Thanks, that's a great tip. Which I should have thought of, I've been using a black paint pen for numberboard and class light gaskets etc. Sometimes the answer is right in front of us... :o
  3. G

    Silver on Athearn Cab Side Windows

    Never mind...I sucked it up and hand painted them. Used my finest brush and Pollyscale Flat Aluminum. Came out pretty good. Still would rather use decals, I'm thinking maybe if I had roughed up the edges of the windows the decals would have had some tooth to grab on to. Maybe I'll try that...
  4. G

    Silver on Athearn Cab Side Windows

    Hey all, I'm working on an undec Athearn GP15-1. The sliding cab windows are giving me a headache...my first thought was to decal the silver along the edges of the windows, this would ensure a nice straight edge. But, as I found out the hard way, decals to not adhere to clear glazing. Despite...
  5. G

    New around the walls layout

    Thanks again for all your efforts! You and many others really helped me out a lot. I actually like the plan that you came up with the best. But forcing myself to be realistic about my time/money/ambition limitations drove me to keep it simple for now. Being of sectional/modular design will make...
  6. G

    New around the walls layout

    Thanks for the words of encouragement. You mention "ponder forever"...that's what happens to a lot of us. Someone, I forget who, dubbed it "analysis paralysis". It's been a few years since having a functional layout, so it's time to get going, even if it winds up being a chainsaw layout! I've...
  7. G

    New around the walls layout

    I'm sure many folks figured this thread was dead..but here I am digging it up! Sorry for the long delay in posting. Many factors have come into play...long work hours, other obligations, etc. I went through several other variations of track plans, some so bad I don't dare post them here...
  8. G

    XtrakCad for Mac with Lion

    Same here, it's a known issue. You can try this: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XTrkCad/message/6473 I've opted to use Empire Express and RailModeller instead. If you have VMWare Fusion or Parallels you might be able to run the Windows version of XtrkCad. I've got Fusion with virtual machines...
  9. G

    New around the walls layout

    Here's a few ideas I've worked on this morning. The first is my greedy, have it all plan. Lots of switching for sure. It just doesn't include staging, although I hint at a single ended staging track on the S wall, it's the blue dashed line: Then here I sacrifice a couple of industries...
  10. G

    New around the walls layout

    Right you are, it's time to sacrifice a little. And having the scenery/bridge area between the yard and interchange makes a lot of sense. It's funny, I had a few versions of the plan that I was quite content with until I learned more about the importance of staging, and how much it would add to...
  11. G

    New around the walls layout

    Thanks again Doughless for pointing out the flaws in my plans, what you say makes a lot of sense. I'm going to have to find an alternate spot for a "scenery only zone", perhaps the SW corner. I'll hopefully have a couple of ideas to post shortly.
  12. G

    New around the walls layout

    Devin, You're right, I'm looking at the Big Island plan now. I've actually got a little more room to play with, and yet he's got a peninsula and hidden staging. Perhaps it's my standards, have to find that copy of MR in my pile but I've been trying to stick with a 26" radius, #6 turnouts except...
  13. G

    New around the walls layout

    Guys, Sorry for the lack of activity. Part of it has been work, and part of it has been me staring at these various plans and trying to figure out what direction to head in. See the below plan. It's a melding of some of the earlier plans... I've decided that I really like the...
  14. G

    dogbone or around wall style

    Ok Joe, you and I were both at a crossroads, you went the folded dogbone route, me the around the walls with liftout. I'll look forward to staying in touch as we both start construction, let's compare notes from time to time. At least you don't have a duckunder/liftout to contend with, good for you!
  15. G

    Pollyscale RR colors

    Where did that rumor start? I rely heavily on PS RR paint for my custom painting efforts, would be a shame to see them discontinued. But, it wouldn't suprise me either, I think those of us that "roll their own" are becoming a rare breed.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top