Recent content by GlassTrain

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. GlassTrain

    Athearn Challenger Questions

    Thanks. Might put it on e-bay to get a sense of worth. Hmm.... sentimental value vs. monetary value. Maybe I'll keep it anyway! BTW, it's UP 3985.
  2. GlassTrain

    Athearn Challenger Questions

    Not sure if this is the place to pose this question but, here goes. I purchased an H.O. Athearn Challenger some years back. I didn't have DCC, removed the sound/RC boards, etc and hard wired it for straight DC. Works really well, too! Tender no longer required and it runs like a six axle...
  3. GlassTrain

    Jerome's Switcher Roster

    Jerome, Here is a pic of the prototype North Shore 2317 that I'm going for. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=105319&nseq=22 Originally it was Southern 2317R, then Norfolk Southern 2317: http://www.nslocos.com/ns2317.html Thanks for the idea about notching the pins! I...
  4. GlassTrain

    Jerome's Switcher Roster

    Here it is. It needs detailed, painted, and decals right now. The chassis under it runs really well for such an old locomotive. Nice slow speed. Something I haven't figured out is the best way to keep the side frames on the trucks. They seem to fall off every now and then.
  5. GlassTrain

    N scale track questions?

    Oh, I wasn't referring to your plans when I mentioned the switch. Yours would work fine. I had it set up with the switch going to the outside of the oval instead of the inside. Not to mention the points were loose. So, when I reversed the direction of the train, the lead locomotive split the...
  6. GlassTrain

    N scale track questions?

    Set up a small oval with the track and ran a train around in circles for a while. Talk about bringing back some old memories! The two Kato SD40-2's run like a dream. Quiet and oh so smooth. Unfortunately, the older Bachman Northern 4-8-4 seems a bit temperamental on the 11" curves. Seems kind of...
  7. GlassTrain

    Jerome's Switcher Roster

    You're probably pretty close to the record! ;) I'm living in East Peoria. Grew up for the most part in Galesburg, however.
  8. GlassTrain

    Jerome's Switcher Roster

    This has to be the most Athearn SW's I've seen in one place, Jerome! Always loved the old SW1500s. :D I've had 3 (2 SW1500 powered and a 1000 dummy) since I can remember. At one time the 1500's had Ernst gears, but I took them out for some reason. A few years back, I bought an undecorated...
  9. GlassTrain

    N scale track questions?

    Thank you for all the info! It helped a bunch when I stopped and picked up track. Kept away from the code 55 and went with Atlas code 80 and 11" curves. Picked up some switches, too. 18" and 22" seemed a bit much, as I'm trying to keep this first project small and simple. We'll see how it...
  10. GlassTrain

    N scale track questions?

    I've made the switch to N scale and would like to know what the normal radius is for most N scale diesel locomotives. I know about HO (18" and 22"), but don't have a clue when it comes to the smaller scale. Also, what are the normal and more prototypical track codes for N? Thanks!
  11. GlassTrain

    Appalachian Mountain Coal Mining 4x8 Build

    I'll say it again, Shannon. That's nice! Watching those black trains snake through the white scenery reminds me of the NS in the snow. Also, the continuous running lets you determine the length of the mine run as you see fit. :cool:
  12. GlassTrain

    New to N Scale!

    I went back and forth on the theme. At first, AC/DC was a possibility, where with the Flick of the Switch, I could create Bedlam in Belgium. However, the idea of a more bare bones approach with a an Iron Maiden theme gave me Piece of Mind! Fear of the Dark ended up putting that notion to rest...
  13. GlassTrain

    Appalachian Mountain Coal Mining 4x8 Build

    Nice layout! This is what I would have done, but space became a problem. I actually started scratch building a mine loadout and set it up on the small shelf diorama. Never did get around to finishing it up. Here are a couple of pics of it. One is of it set up and the other is it's current...
  14. GlassTrain

    9-40cw questions

    I converted two of the old Athearn BB Dash 9's back in the late 90's. Did the same as Ron did with the headlights. The other thing I did was alter the air tank mounts and fuel tanks. They aren't 100% prototypical, but they worked for me. Couple of rough pics. :o
  15. GlassTrain

    New to N Scale!

    Been an H.O. modeler since 1977 (Tyco layout!) and recently switched to N. In the process of switching over and look forward to the 'event'. Already have a sizable N scale collection of 3 locomotives and about 10 cars. That's compared to the 40 or so locomotives and 80 plus freight cars in...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top