Recent content by gary60s

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. G

    attaching structures

    I call them "Footprint boards" : http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?25602-Footprint-boards
  2. G

    coal fired power plant in n scale

    I designed a modern power plant into a set of N scale sketches, for scratchbuilding, that include printable templates with directions. It is on 2 other sites, but I'm not sure if other site links are allowed here...
  3. G

    Track

    Here is some more information on NO-OX: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147011&postcount=1
  4. G

    Utility line stringing tool

    Hi Jim. I use Ambroid Pro-weld. You only need a very small amount. I trim the brush applicator to a point, otherwise you get too much.
  5. G

    Utility line stringing tool

    Hi Jim. I strung my entire layout using EZline from berkshirejunction.com. It is an elastic line, hangs realisticly with no kinks, and is not fuzzy like thread. Since it is elastic, when bumped, it just stretches. No damage yet in 3 years, and I have bumped it several times:)
  6. G

    Utility line stringing tool

    I made a “line stringing tool”. It is made from a triangular piece of plastic with adjustable tripod type legs (for uneven terrain). The bobbin is also plastic from a sewing store. The legs, eyelets, and bobbin support were bent from #14 house wire. The alligator clip was from Radio Shack and...
  7. G

    Track cleaning, Linn Westcott, and No-Ox

    I probably should own shares in Sanchem, the way No-Ox is catching on Rico! I don't even know if they're public.
  8. G

    Track cleaning, Linn Westcott, and No-Ox

    I know of no other more controversial subject than track cleaning. I am not posting this to convince anyone to give up a tried and true method that works for them. I am simply pointing out an easier way. This comes from my being inherently lazy, so any avid “track cleaners” can skip this post...
  9. G

    Ballast spreader

    Sorry guys. I only list one day auctions on ebay that end every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I make all my tools by myself, and I list this way so I don't get swamped with orders. I know I'll never get rich that way, but I've always believed in quality over quantity.
  10. G

    Ballast spreader

    2 options Dave. Without trucks or trucked. Auctions end this evening. Same username.
  11. G

    Ballast spreader

    Great suggestions Bob! I'll have to think on this a bit. I suspect that since I have a lot of acrylic plastic on hand, I may just scratch something up and then maybe I'll have a BAM!!! Thanks for ideas.
  12. G

    Ballast spreader

    Customer feedback has been great, even for the N version. Everyone is very pleased. Putting a hopper on it that would dispense ballast properly is a little more complicated than my pea brain can figure out Rico.
  13. G

    Ballast spreader

    I thought about that, but decided that loose ballast getting in loco gearing, might not be a good thing.
  14. G

    Ballast spreader

    I made an HO ballast spreader attachment that fits on my Track Inspection Cars. It is removable, and when it is attached, you just put some ballast between the tracks, and then push the car to spread the ballast. As you can see it spreads the ballast in a near perfect pattern, ready for gluing...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top