Recent content by Frans4045

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. F

    Newbie question: What are good brands??

    Thank you guys sooo much for that incredibly valuable information! It really really helped a LOT! Frans
  2. F

    Newbie question: What are good brands??

    Newbie question: What brand has the best detailed locomotives Hi All! Not only am I new to the train hobby but also relatively new to the USA. I grew up in the Netherlands until I was 39 and then emigrated to Oregon. As a result of that I know some European brands such as Fleischman, Marklin...
  3. F

    My 2nd weathering project: SD45T-2

    Thanks Jim! I'll give that a shot, either now or in the near future. (I do not have a junker yet....sigh..)
  4. F

    My 2nd weathering project: SD45T-2

    Thanks guys! Yeah I have another SD40-2 (with long snoot) UP colors waiting in line to be next. And indeed, first thing I want to do is lighten the yellow. I was going to try it with a good quality pastel chalk/powder I bought today. The question I have regarding the use of an airbrush with...
  5. F

    How to weather a Black Diesel?

    Thanks Stationmaster! I hope to get the underside, trucks and tanks as close to what Wheeler1963 did to his friend's locomotive...I can only hope, cause he did a REALLY nice job!
  6. F

    How to weather a Black Diesel?

    Hi Guys!!! You are great! Thank you so much for all your tips and hints. It confirmed my gut feeling of how to approach this project. Thanks too for even taking the time and making the effort of replying with beautiful pictures! Wow! I guess that all the techniques you suggested would work...
  7. F

    How to weather a Black Diesel?

    And what about diluted neutral gray and apply that into the sunken details first and then a dark gray chalk on the rest of the surfaces? Then dull coat to seal. Would that work?
  8. F

    How to weather a Black Diesel?

    Today I bought an Athearn SD40-2 with a High hood from Norfolk Southern. Those locomotives are black... Here is a picture: What I want is to bring out the detail and make it look used. Used and weathered to about the same extent as my other two locomotives, of which I posted the results...
  9. F

    My 2nd weathering project: SD45T-2

    Hi Guys! Thanks once again for taking the time to look at my post and comment. jbaakko: Thank you for pointing out the rails! As a complete novice I had not yet thought about the fact that there is most likely a difference in rails quality and realism as well! At this point I use my...
  10. F

    My 2nd weathering project: SD45T-2

    Hi All! Thanks again for your kind comments and numerous views on my first post, the weathering of the GP-38! This sure feels like a friendly forum. Well in the last few days I worked on my second locomotive ever. A big SD45T-2. One significant difference in approach was that I did not cover...
  11. F

    My first weathering: A GP38-2 UP

    Thanks Station master! By the way: Your Signature cracks me up!!! GN.2-6-8-0 and CSX road slug: Thanks for that compliment! I know exactly what you mean...You know what is sort of funny? Like I mentioned before, every day when I drive to work I pass a UP rail yard. I look very hard at the locos...
  12. F

    My first weathering: A GP38-2 UP

    Thank you so much for looking and replying to my post! Also for you kind words! wheeler1963: Thank you! Jerome: I use Humbrol (enamel) and Tamya (acryl). That's what is easily available here in town. Also good quality pastel chalks and dull coat. I had trouble with the wash. It dried in...
  13. F

    My first weathering: A GP38-2 UP

    Hi Everyone! I am new here and this is my first post. My name is Frans and I emigrated to the US (Oregon) in 2000 from Holland. Deeply impressed I am with the humongous diesel locomotives here! Every day when I drive to work I pass a fair sized Union Pacific owned railroad yard and finally it...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top