Recent content by frank-in-spokane

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. F

    Seeking operations ideas

    True enough if you only ever anticipate running one loco: "Yesterday it was the UP, today it's the Jersey Central, tomorrow it'll be the Milwaukee Road." But even though mine's a small pike, I want to eventually run two locos, so I wanted them to a) be of either the same line or of two lines...
  2. F

    Seeking operations ideas

    Well, now you guys went and done it. Y'all nudged me just enough to cause me to go and lay roadbed for an interchange! And that not without more than a little trepidation! As I think I mentioned, I'm using flex track (my first time) and Peco insul-frog turnouts (these are variously referred...
  3. F

    Seeking operations ideas

    Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm considering putting it on the "south" side of the double-tracks, immediately to the "east" of the bridge and on the "west" side of the short road leading "north" out of town. That site's grade is already amenable to such a structure, and it keeps it in close proximity...
  4. F

    Seeking operations ideas

    UP2CSX wrote: Do you mean, in the upper-right corner? And DaWolf85 wrote: I smell what you're cookin'. But as I do a little pre-tracklaying imagineering with the structures I have so far (see pics in my previous post), it occurs to me that a small whistle-stop might fit quite nicely...
  5. F

    Seeking operations ideas

    PS2CSX wrote: Yes, the Walther's Water Street Freight terminal in the original layout has a rather large footprint. I'm going to make the town larger-looking than that depicted in MR's plan (by use of the half-dozen -- or more -- small DPM (et al.) brick buildings I already have), and I...
  6. F

    Seeking operations ideas

    Gents (and ladies?), Thanks for all your replies -- many good ideas in there that I intend to explore further. Esp. the addition of an interchange/fiddle yard off one of the corners -- probably either the upper or lower left ones. Some further details on my situation: I'm pressed for space...
  7. F

    Seeking operations ideas

    BTW, I'd also consider squeezing in a small station for something resembling passenger operations -- if for no other reason than to give the freight something to have to work against! (But with 9.75" and 11" curves, it would have to be a SHORT consist of SHORT cars!)
  8. F

    Seeking operations ideas

    I'm building my first model RR, Model Railroader's STOCKING VALLEY RY (in N scale, 2.5 x 5 ft.). As you can see by the attached JPG, it's a simple oval with one passing track and four sidings. The industries originally envisioned by MR are: 1. freight house 2. fuel dealer 3. cement plant...
  9. F

    Best DC wiring: Common- or Two-Rail?

    I'm preparing to lay track soon on my first MRR in 35+ years, a simple N-scale oval in 5' x 2.5' w/one passing track and 4 sidings. Turnouts are Peco Insul-frog, and I'm going w/DC cab control. My Q. is, should I use Common-Rail or Two-Rail wiring? Here are the concerns behind my Q.: 1)...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top