Recent content by completenewbie

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. C

    My mess - New project

    Thanks Dave, If I still lived in Ca, I would definately visit the fairplex as well as look for a club. The only club I found close was CMRX (Consolidated Model Railroaders) which seems to be defunct now. Perhaps one day I'll start a club LOL
  2. C

    My mess - New project

    Thanks hamltnblue, I've looked at the track and believe all that I am using is 83 - I'm going to check again to make sure and verify. Trey still here - and thanks :) I didn't really have a question about using the insulated joiners other than why one would use them - they must have come with...
  3. C

    My mess - New project

    DougC, The closest hobby store to my location is over 120 miles away as far as I've been able to find. My apologies if my questions are too basic and I've offended anyone it was not my intention. As I said in my intro I don't know what I'm doing and have been attempting to learn by reading...
  4. C

    My mess - New project

    Thanks for teh explanation Trey. Is there a particular reason to do this, or some other situation this is useful? It doesn't appear to be of value - why would you not want current to run through adjoining tracks and/or why would you want to use the plastic joiners then solder wires? Not...
  5. C

    Plugs for various items - Need pointers

    Thanks Doug - I like those, they look pretty easy to install. I don't plan to move the layout around much at all. I'm only making it modular/sectional to be able to break it down, box it up and store it if need be. I don't want to go through this again with the layout ;)
  6. C

    My mess - New project

    Thanks for the response RW. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by isolating electrical blocks and soldering wire between them? Can you elaborate a bit more for a novice please?
  7. C

    Plugs for various items - Need pointers

    Thanks for the responses Trey and Bob. I hadn't thought about automotive connectors - good idea :) Thanks for the link Trey - very helpful
  8. C

    My mess - New project

    Still in the planning stage since I have to rethink my layout. While rummaging through my track and things I found some O gauge plastic joiners - does anyone know what they are used for? They look similar to the steel track joiners, but they are black and plastic. Hoping to get at least the...
  9. C

    Plugs for various items - Need pointers

    I'm trying to build a modular/sectional setup and I don't want to hardwire everything together. I read in one of my books I can hook things up to plugs so I can unplug modules/sections when I want to move them. Can someone point me in the direction of where to get these plugs? Is there...
  10. C

    My mess - New project

    Not sure whether they are 18 or 22 or what but they seem to be the same - I bought a batch of track off ebay (200 + pieces), separated it all out by size, type (stright, curved etc) and alloy (brass and nickel). For some reason, they just don't line up properly (seems to not join up and if...
  11. C

    My mess - New project

    Back to the HO drawing board - The layout I made above, doesn't work with the track I have :( and I have a lot of track I just purchased. I have no idea why when I make a simple circle out of the track then expand it with a few straights nothing lines up. They all seem to be the same length...
  12. C

    DCC for dummies question

    Apologies - didn't mean to scare anyone into thinking there was only one way to do this or that it was overly complex to use - which it really isn't. I was just pointing out the xml/text files can be easily created for those decoders not recognized. I'll shut up now :(
  13. C

    DCC for dummies question

    From what I've read - there are several ways to code these - text files or XML - both are relatively easy given you take one as a sample and modify it to work with the decoder you're using. At least that's what I've gleaned from my research so far. I've not looked at the decoder files yet, but...
  14. C

    My mess - New project

    That makes perfect sense - I went to look at the differences and I see what you and Trey are talking about. Now it kinda makes sense. Which came first O or HO? If O, then when they designed the HO I wonder why they didn't stay with similar engineering - movable axles for tighter turns etc...
  15. C

    My mess - New project

    Thanks for the response Trey - I'm still at odds with this radii disparity between the gauges. In my mind, the smaller the train the smaller the circle - I'm obviously missing something in my logic.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top