Recent content by Clair

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. C

    Engine identification needed

    Josh -- Wonderful info -- so, since I can get up close and personal to engines most times, where on the engine am I likely to find the SNs and the frame numbers -- ends, sides ??? I was surprised to find nothing on numbers in the Armstrong book. Thanks, Clair
  2. C

    Engine identification needed

    morning all -- I just spent 2 hours yesterday crawling around the St. Albans yard with my camera. (neither of the two engines in my No. 1 image were there). I came home with a lot of yard documentation and two BURNING questions. 1. Where do I find out what ALL the numbers and letters mean on...
  3. C

    Engine identification needed

    Miles -- I'm looking at your SOO Line engine next to my No. 1 image and I wonder why there are no lights showing on mine between the number boards. Are lights not something salient to engine identification? http://www.clairdunn.com/RR-Images/ http://www.trainnet.org/Libraries/Lib006/SOO543.JPG...
  4. C

    Engine identification needed

    Ken -- I have question: why when you identified the engine as "Those would both be EMD SD9 of the GWSR." did you include the GWSR part. If these locos are sitting in St. Albans, Vermont, how is the GWSR part connected, if it is? Just trying to learn here. Thanks! Clair
  5. C

    switchers and freight yards

    66 feet by 39 feet!!!!!!!!!! That's some house! And railroad! Thanks Ken -- again.
  6. C

    switchers and freight yards

    Ken -- Wow == that is a wonderful shot and wonderful yard. Thanks very much for putting it up -- how could you dismantle that?! And also thanks for the GSWR 1901 IDs on that question. I'm off now to look up GSWR. Again, thanks for the picture. Clair
  7. C

    switchers and freight yards

    Jim (UP2CSX) and jbakko --Ray and others -- My apologies -- I thought this thread was dead -- because I thought I was signed up for email notifications of posts. But, I wasn't! I'm having real trouble finding small freight yard plans (well - if I think about it, I haven't seen any!) (right now...
  8. C

    Engine identification needed

    Here's the link: http://www.clairdunn.com/RR-Images/ Thanks! Clair
  9. C

    Engine identification needed

    Hi- Just got these shots yesterday in the yard at New England Central Railroad Co. in St. Albans, Vermont. I would very much like to know what any/all kind of engines are shown. And many thanks. The images didn't show up -- so I'm going off to make a web page and hope that at least that link...
  10. C

    switchers and freight yards

    Well, I finally got the scratch together and these are the books I have now -- thanks to your advice: Armstrong's The Railroad Sperandeo's Freight Yards Rhodes' North American Railyards In seventh heaven I am. BUT, now I need a bit more help of a different nature. But, going to post...
  11. C

    switchers and freight yards

    THanks guys -- I will certainly have a look at Armstrong -- and no doubt will go on my list, which is groaning now. sigh. Clair
  12. C

    switchers and freight yards

    YOC -- I dug out the magnifying glass and they also have to the right of ATEST - MDT and to the left RSO. These are much bigger letters and are on both the locos. Does that tell you anything? Cheers, Clair
  13. C

    switchers and freight yards

    Hi Josh - Diesel Freak is just the freak I need! lol I want to find one to buy. And I would like to learn about them (and also anything I can about freight yards (and I do have the book by Wilson? on my list). I have two very small locos now and I think they are switchers but I'm not sure--...
  14. C

    switchers and freight yards

    Hi -- I've searched but no luck. I'm looking for HO freight yard plans, discussion, anything! And, I want to know the proper way to find switcher locos. I guess I would need specific types and I don't have those -- so how to begin? I look at locos> diesel, and then all I seem to find are...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top