Recent content by Calafati

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. C

    Stupid Kato SD70MAC question: how do I disassemble it?

    No. I managed to disassemble the model by "rocking" it a bit and installed the decoder. Thanks for helping me with that, I was indeed a bit too gentle.
  2. C

    Stupid Kato SD70MAC question: how do I disassemble it?

    Now, I have my SD70MAC, made by Kato, and a Lenz Silver Direkt DCC decoder to go into it. I don´t want to take it apart again after all the grabirons and handrails have been installed, but alas: I can´t seem to be able to open the %$§/&!§ thing. According to the instruction manual, I´m...
  3. C

    SD70MAC - Kato or Athearn Genesis (revisited)

    Hi there, a friend and I both wanted to buy a SD70MAC engine; she wanted a BN, I wanted a BNSF heritage unit. Although I like (and have on my roster) Athearn Genesis models, I went for Kato, as they seem to have the better plastic material, and a decent drivetrain. My friend went for Athearn...
  4. C

    New 2 the forum here is my roster

    Your posts make pretty hard reading without any punctuation... :(
  5. C

    Athearn Genesis UP SD60M prototypically correct?

    Hi, as I´m modelling the contemporary UP, I´m planning to add an SD60M to my roster, made by Athearn Genesis. Before I buy the model, I´d want to make sure that it is a prototypically correct rendition of a UP engine, rather than some repaint of a BNSF prototype. Can anybody who knows the...
  6. C

    I know what you did last summer.

    Visit Seelze depot and switchyard´s 100th anniversary show. Seelze is about two miles away from my home, and it had been built between 1906 and 1909 to help shunt freight cars around the Hannover area. Today, ca. 5,000 freight cars are moved here, making it one of Germany´s biggest...
  7. C

    Why is the hobby in trouble?

    Take a look at many of today's kids: their span of attention is not much longer than a cartoon between two commercial break, and many feel that they're entitled to being entertained without participating. It's sort of a passive Generation, and model railroading is an active hobby. Add to this...
  8. C

    Atlas master DC --> DCC

    Remove the dummy plug (as you did), and pop in an 8-pole DCC decoder. The space seems a bit limited, so I´d use a Lenz Silver Direct without the cables.
  9. C

    Is it really worth it to save a minute! Stupid driver

    Maybe it was a Toyota - apparently, their accelerators and brakes have a life of their own?
  10. C

    Kato SD 70 M - What are the extra parts?

    And rear MU hoses iirc.
  11. C

    Question regarding BN engines utilized by Union Pacific.

    The only question remaining is: SD70Mac - Kato or Athearn Genesis (not wanting to re-open that ole discussion yet again...) :)
  12. C

    Question regarding BN engines utilized by Union Pacific.

    Hi there, I´d like to ask the following question: does the UP ever use BN units alongside their own engines? The background is: I like the SD70MAC in BN´s Executive paint scheme, but I model UP. I might want a Kato or Athearn Genesis unit and MU it with some UP units. Thanks for your...
  13. C

    Genesis UP SD70M?

    Try to get a recent release, as you need to install all the grabirons, handrails and even the ditch lights on the earlier SD70M releases. The newer ones come ready to run.
  14. C

    Tower 55 ES44AC?

    Oh dear, that would mean that in essence, all they could "reuse" was the research that already went into T55´s projects, but not much else. That having been said, I would REALLY like an HO GEVO, UP if possible.
  15. C

    Messerschmitt Factory Information - Epoche II

    Maybe a search in German would be more appropriate, or contacting the Schweinfurt or Augsburg authorities. Furthermore, many efforts were moved underground back then, a quick google search has for instance revealed this site: click me. No idea how useful it may be, as WW2 military stuff is...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top