zephyr function question

zeis96

New Guy
I was reading the DCC article in the December Model Railroader and noticed it says that for the Zephyr it has 10 functions and 'partially' supports sound decoders (12 functions). It also says Zephyr does not feature route control. Just curious as to what all this means.

Thanks!

Zepher seems to support most all of the 12 sound functions with the exception of #11 with controls the Number board lights on engines that have them separated, and #12 which contols interior Cab lights. Pretty much a system that controls 10 of the 12 covers perdominently most of the major Sound functions. I know they are increasing the # of function keys, but I wouldn't worry to much about that.

As far as the route control goes, I am not a Digitrax person, so I am affraid I can't help you there. Maybe someone else here can answer that.

Bob

Route control is the ability to program turnout routes into the unit. It can be a handy feature. As an example, on our Chief, we've got routes programmed to get trains from staging onto the layout. Each route corresponds to a track number. If you want a train from track 7, just enter switch mode on the throttle, select 7, and push the "c" (closed) button to align the route. This would be a great feature for interlockings or any complex trackwork to move trains thru with a minimum of fuss.

As far as sound functions go, I think the Zephyr will do just fine.

I added a UT4 throttle to my Zephyr. This not only gave
me a walk around throttle, but access to the higher funtions.
They are inexpensive, so you want go broke adding walk arounds.

I do have a DT400 throttle on my "things to buy" list. Good luck, Dave

Back