Z scale layout in a Suitcase

andgott

I'm just about done with this one! This started as a way for me to keep busy when I had some down time after surgery. I had a z scale train set put away in the closet, and I decided it was time to do something with it. I've still got some areas to detail, and I need to get the electrical work cleaned up a bit. But- It's done for now- I need to take a little break.

Other than the train itself, everything is scratch built...

Closed up, It's nothing too special-
0410Suitcase_zpsf7aebfb8.jpg

But, pop it open, and-
0411Layout_zpsd574b8ad.jpg

The layout measures roughly 18" x 24".

The station sits on a siding right in the middle. Cutting those details is always fun in Z scale, especially around the windows-

0411Station_zps9f440c81.jpg

In the corner, there is a gas station, complete with a 1966 Ford F-100 pickup-
0411GasStn_zps831f50a1.jpg

All of the building interiors are fully detailed-
0411GasStnIn_zps9a7e21ed.jpg

There is a diner just up the road. I based it on the 'gator' diner, which used to be in St. Petersburg, FL... It's gone now, but if you google it you'll see a postcard that featured it. It's a neat building.

0411Diner_zpsd34d0a25.jpg

Sitting in front is a 1948 Indian Chief motorcycle, and a panel delivery van. Of course, the interior is fully detailed, too-

0411DinerIn_zpsd666ec17.jpg

It's a nice summer day, so it's a great day to take the boat out or hang out on the beach. The boat is a 1960 Glasspar Citation- I have the real thing in my garage, so I had to try a replica.

0411BoatDock_zps572aba0e.jpg

I worked as a merchant marine officer for 12 years- So I had to add a little tug and buoy, too. The buoy flashes at night. I also built the bridge, which is a replica of one of the N&S five bridges in Indiana Harbor, IN. I used to pass under it several times a week on the ship that I worked on...

0411Tug_zps99b99477.jpg

Down the road a bit, they are doing a little clearing work to make room for a new building... The Erie steam shovel is scratch built from styrene-

0411SteamShovel_zps722c88f0.jpg

Up on the mountain, there is a little camp scene, complete with a 1964 Shasta camper-

0411Campsite_zps1ccec783.jpg

But, it's not all fun up there- they're almost done with a fresh batch of moonshine-

0411Still_zps6bdfc724.jpg

The farm house is based on one of the most famous houses in the world- The house in the painting American Gothic-

0411FarmHouse_zps8dcc9d14.jpg

I like it better at night! It's lit with a combination of white LEDs and incandescent lamps. All of them are controlled by a Arduino microcontroller-

The station-
0410Station_zpse0b2bca4.jpg

The Diner-
0410Diner_zps8abea9d3.jpg

The Gas Station-
0410GasStn_zps4cf89e43.jpg

The Docks-
0410Dock_zps61a073ed.jpg

And, the flashing buoy. The flash effect is controlled by the Arduino Microcontroller-
0410Buoy_zps28a0586e.jpg

I really like using the microcontrollers, they make it SUPER easy to add lighting effects and control the lighting. I plan to add some motion later, using servos controlled by the Arduino. I also plan to use the arduino to control the train as well in the near future. It's a neat toy.

It's time to start thinking about the next project now :)

-Andrew

This is absolutely astonishing! Your talents are amazing and you have definitely raised the bar for what can be accomplished in such a small scale. I've really enjoyed your presentation of this project. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Omg! I have some Marklin Z-scale trains & track and having tried modeling buildings myself in that scale I have
to take my hat off for you. Beautiful work!

-ik

Thanks, It has been fun! I'm trying to decide what to do next- I don't think it's going to be Z scale, though, I'm still cross-eyed :)

That looks fantastic! I especially like the use of the arduino. I have always wondered why more people don't use those for custom layout animation and things, simply because they're so versatile.

Maybe you should take a look at the "Model Railroading With Arduino" library if you haven't already. Then you could add (basic) DCC to the layout, which would be super cool! Sounds from a little speaker in the bottom of the suitcase would be awesome too.

Love the layout! Well done

I love the railroad! -I have eaten at a diner called Troy's 105 diner and it is the exact same diner- Exept that it is located in Boone, NC -https://troys105diner.com/

1669414194348.png

I'm just about done with this one! This started as a way for me to keep busy when I had some down time after surgery. I had a z scale train set put away in the closet, and I decided it was time to do something with it. I've still got some areas to detail, and I need to get the electrical work cleaned up a bit. But- It's done for now- I need to take a little break.

Other than the train itself, everything is scratch built...

Closed up, It's nothing too special-
View attachment 100979

But, pop it open, and-
View attachment 100980

The layout measures roughly 18" x 24".

The station sits on a siding right in the middle. Cutting those details is always fun in Z scale, especially around the windows-

View attachment 100981

In the corner, there is a gas station, complete with a 1966 Ford F-100 pickup-
View attachment 100982

All of the building interiors are fully detailed-
View attachment 100983

There is a diner just up the road. I based it on the 'gator' diner, which used to be in St. Petersburg, FL... It's gone now, but if you google it you'll see a postcard that featured it. It's a neat building.

View attachment 100984

Sitting in front is a 1948 Indian Chief motorcycle, and a panel delivery van. Of course, the interior is fully detailed, too-

View attachment 100985

It's a nice summer day, so it's a great day to take the boat out or hang out on the beach. The boat is a 1960 Glasspar Citation- I have the real thing in my garage, so I had to try a replica.

View attachment 100986

I worked as a merchant marine officer for 12 years- So I had to add a little tug and buoy, too. The buoy flashes at night. I also built the bridge, which is a replica of one of the N&S five bridges in Indiana Harbor, IN. I used to pass under it several times a week on the ship that I worked on...

View attachment 100987

Down the road a bit, they are doing a little clearing work to make room for a new building... The Erie steam shovel is scratch built from styrene-

View attachment 100988

Up on the mountain, there is a little camp scene, complete with a 1964 Shasta camper-

View attachment 100989

But, it's not all fun up there- they're almost done with a fresh batch of moonshine-

View attachment 100990

The farm house is based on one of the most famous houses in the world- The house in the painting American Gothic-

View attachment 100991

I like it better at night! It's lit with a combination of white LEDs and incandescent lamps. All of them are controlled by a Arduino microcontroller-

The station-
View attachment 100992

The Diner-
View attachment 100993

The Gas Station-
View attachment 100994

The Docks-
View attachment 100995

And, the flashing buoy. The flash effect is controlled by the Arduino Microcontroller-
View attachment 100996

I really like using the microcontrollers, they make it SUPER easy to add lighting effects and control the lighting. I plan to add some motion later, using servos controlled by the Arduino. I also plan to use the arduino to control the train as well in the near future. It's a neat toy.

It's time to start thinking about the next project now :)

-Andrew
This is beautifully done. Z scale to boot, you must have the hands of a surgeon!

🛃👮 - hello sir do you have anything to declare?
😀 💼
- yes! my bag is awesome!!

Last edited:

Back