Yuba River Sub of the D&RGWRR

TWhite

Tom White
The HO scale Yuba River Sub is a portion of a fictional Rio Grande 'California Extension' from Salt Lake to Oakland. The portion modeled is through the Sierra Nevada mountains of northern California between Nevada City and Yuba Summit, CA. I've set the railroad in October of any given year between 1940 and 1950, the motive power is all steam, so far.

The layout is a largely non-parallel double track main with a yard in Nevada City and small yards in Wagon Wheel Gap and Sierra City. The minimum mainline radius is 34", the maximum mainline grade is 2.25%.

Motive power is slanted toward heavy articulateds and larger non-articulated steam. Though most of the locos are Rio Grande prototypes, there are also other railroads represented on a loan-out basis, mainly SP, Colorado & Southern, Pennsylvania and Chesapeake & Ohio.

The layout is DC with dedicated blocks. Power is supplied by a Controlmaster 20. The layout is approx. 23x18' and is located in my garage (California basement).

Here's a few shots of the Rio Grande at work in the Sierras. Hope you enjoy.
Tom
104193093.jpg

A troop train descending the east side of Yuba Pass, with Wagon Wheel Gap and a work train in the foreground.

103391731.jpg

A big Rio Grande L-131 2-8-8-2 with a coal train on the west side of Yuba Pass. Elevation here is around 6800' above sea level.

107292732.jpg

#1600, a 3-cylinder 4-8-2 meeting an ex-Denver and Salt Lake 2-6-6-0 at Sierra City Junction

109063097.jpg

The Chicago-Oakland "Prospector" with a 1700 4-8-4 on the head end crosses the big arch bridge over Bullard's Bar Lake.

104712309.jpg

The South Yuba River canyon, where the fishing is good and the trains are frequent.

113475897.jpg

My "Never Was" Rio Grande L-140 2-8-8-4. Rio Grande borrowed these big Missabe Yellowstones during WWII, I just had the railroad go out and buy some from Baldwin for the California Extension. Hey, it's MY railroad, right, LOL?

Hope you enjoyed this little tour.
Tom

Absolutely fantastic tour! Thanks for posting it. Yours has always been one RR I could never get enough of! Great job, Tom. :)

TWhite said:
Here's a few shots of the Rio Grande at work in the Sierras. ... Hope you enjoyed this little tour.
Tom

I did! Now how about posting some links to LARGE images? If your small ones look this good, I'd like to see some bridge shots that fill my entire monitor... :D

Hope you enjoyed this little tour.
Tom

I did, I did enjoy. Fantastic scenery and modeling. Thanks for sharing your work with us. Great modeling and scenes.

13.gif
Willis

CSX_road_slug said:
I did! Now how about posting some links to LARGE images? If your small ones look this good, I'd like to see some bridge shots that fill my entire monitor... :D

Ken--Believe me, I'd LOVE to, but my Adobe Print Shop seems to limit my JPEG images to 5x7. And I don't know if I mentioned this to you, but for some strange reason, the resolution seems to fade a bit. I don't know whether or not it's me, or the program, but what looks clear initially seems to come out a little 'impressionistic' after going through the Photo Shop. Hopefully, as I get used to this new camera, I can cure that.
But thanks for the comments. I'll post some other 'bridge' pictures later.
Tom

Thought I'd post a couple more pictures. This is the "Sierraville Turn" that runs between Nevada City and Sierraville, daily. Caught it working through Wagon Wheel Gap.

114140433.jpg

On the #2 Eastbound track at Wagon Wheel Gap. Loco is 2-8-2 #1204

114140225.jpg

Passing the cattle pen at Wagon Wheel Gap

114140160.jpg

Crossing the Middle Yuba River at Twin Bridges. Upper line is the westbound main.

Other photos can be found on my website-- http://www.picturetrail.com/hoofus
Tom

Back