Your SECOND favorite is?

dgwinup

Assuming that this forum is your favorite, what is your SECOND favorite forum?

I was fairly active on MR's forum until is went down with the trolls. I was already a member here, and visited every once in a while. Now, this is the first place I come to, and the Coffee Shop is the first topic I go to. I enjoy it MUCH more than the CS on MR. Visiting MR's shop seems to be like eavesdropping on a family's private conversation. Maybe I just couldn't keep up with it. Something. But I enjoy the conversations in this CS more. I know a lot of members here also post frequently on MR's forum, not to mention any names. I'll let them 'fess up themselves. LOL

I am also very active on the N Scale railroading forum on e-Bay. I really feel welcome there, as I do here. Like being part of a family!

I belong to a few other forums that I visit as the mood strikes me. They aren't as active as MR, e-Bay or here, but it is fun to drop by every once in a while.

So, your second favorite is......?

Darrell, quiet...for now

My second favorite forum is this one. I still have difficulties navigating around, seems like I have to re-learn my way around everytime I want to check out something different. I see references to Photo Contests, but they usually lead to completed contests, and not to the current ones. When I do find the current ones, they are in the form of messages. And it was quite confusing at first to drop over to the Railroad and Steam forums and having to log in there as well, rather than going seamlessly from one to another as I would have expected.

My favorite is Rail-Line forums, which has many modelers doing outstanding modleling in areas that I am particularly interested in. They have many, many different sections. Some are 40 pages long, following a modeler as he builds something. Always something of interest there!

Check them out: http://www.railroad-line.com/

I visit the MR and Atlas forums, but my interest isn't overly great there. I'm often the one helping out when I can, rather than being enlightened myself.

This is, by far, my fav forum. I still post every now and then on MR, but not much since the meltdown. I love MR magazine, partly because I remember it as a kid and mostly because LGM and I have enjoyed the layout feature articles together for the past 5 years. Because of that, I'll probably always read and post on their forum some.

This is my favorite forum. I still go to the MR forum and post some time, but I don't go to the CS. I was spending to much time trying to keep up. Sense the lock down, its just not the same. There is always somebody trying to get a flaming war started. I like it better here.

Stan.

I'd say this one is my second fave after trains.com's MRR forum. I like having a long list of posts to look through when I'm bored. I like the environment here better, though.
Matthew

I am also a member of several others as well as other non RR forums. Particularly weather related forums. I like MR, Atlas The Gauge, Trainboard, (post extremely rarely in the last two).

This one however is my favorite. Unlike the others where I sometimes feel like no one has heard a word I said, never mind I may have been in their same situation before, here I feel like someone has heard me, thought about what I said, then decided if it was good advice or not.

Here answers seem to be weighed on merit, and experience and not on his post count.

Interesting you should ask...

...Just this morning on the MR forum, I was reminded of exactly why I came over here in the first place.

Some newcomer posted for the first time, announcing that he had some type of MRR-related software and he would people to check it out. Immediately some self-appointed 'watchdog' pounced on him, accusing him of trying to get "free advertising" and of purposely posting on the weekend to "avoid the moderators" - making a presumption of evil intent, talk about a snotty attitude! :mad: I have yet to see anything like that around here.

I still have lots of friends on the Kalmbach site, so I'll probably keep going there. But this is my favorite hangout!

Top 4, in no particular order:

ModelrailroadForums, Atlas Forums, Trains.com, The Railroad Forum.

My second favorite forum is this one. I still have difficulties navigating around,
Hi Bob, well yes it can be because the photos are on one server (I think) while we search on another :D Took me awhile to get it straight again.
OK from the main page (Index page) scroll down to the Model Railroad Photo Contest and click on Photo Contests . On the new page you will see links to all current and past Model Rail photo contests, Just pick out the one you wish to review. If you click on October 2005 Photo Contest - Locomotives you will see your entry and others as Modelbob updates the thread.

Now Voting is a different kettle of fish! Clicking on that link " Model RR Photo Contest Voting will take you to a page on RailroadForums.Com where the voting is held and certainly there are more Prototype pictures to vote on. I believe modelbob probably has his hands rather full nowdays so updating may not be as fast as it once was.
Hope this little blurb is of some help to you.
http://www.modelrailroadphotos.com/photos/index.php?cat=522 Link to the Photos
13.gif
Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
My secondfavorite is the CanModelTrains yahoo group.
That's primarily because of the Canadian content.

The MR forum is my second choice and was the forum that I started with and enjoyed for a quite a while, but something changed! It was more than just flaming or an over abundance of arrogance that seemed to gloom over it. (I had better stop there before I get into trouble.) I will still visit it and comment where I can, but the zip is gone. This forum, with its family like atomosphere and open arms policy, is much more congenial and I will continue to use it as my number one.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
For you N scalers out there, I recommend the N scale railroading forum on e-Bay. I post there as much as I post here! It's smaller, doesn't have all the features as we do here, so it's pretty much just posting. There is a great group of people on there, and it's similar to the Coffee Shop. Good conversation, some of which is actually about trains! LOL

If you're interested, go to e-Bay, click on "community", then click on "Groups". When the screen comes up, type "railroad" in the search box. Then click on "N Scale railroading". It is an invitation-only membership. I'm not aware of anyone who has been denied membership, and the forum is watched pretty closely. There is no flaming, no trolls, nothing to get in your way of chatting and exchanging information and ideas.

Just like on this forum, you will be welcomed with open arms. A nice feeling!

RexHea said:
The MR forum is my second choice and was the forum that I started with and enjoyed for a quite a while, but something changed! It was more than just flaming or an over abundance of arrogance that seemed to gloom over it. (I had better stop there before I get into trouble.) I will still visit it and comment where I can, but the zip is gone. This forum, with its family like atomosphere and open arms policy, is much more congenial and I will continue to use it as my number one.:)

Couldn't agree with you more, RexHea! I really enjoy this forum! I was slow to pick up on all the features, and there are many that I still haven't utilized. I get around on here just fine, and I learn something about modeling, railroads, forum features and all my forum friends every time I visit. Kind of like coming home!

Thanks, everyone. You make this a great forum!

Darrell, thankful for your friendship, and quiet...for now

Back