Your H.O. Fleet Question

rock4329

What type of locomotive is the backbone of your loco fleet?? What type of loco do you roster most??

I probably roster more GP38-2's than anything else, so, the GP38-2 is the backbone of my fleet. I have about 25 of em.

The SD40-2 or SW1500 comes in a close second, I have around 15 of each.

MLW C630M's I have six four more to build
MLW RS18 I have one will build two more probably
F9 and FA with a few GP's to round it out than the fun begins.

13.gif
Willis

1 - 4-8-8-4 "Big Boy" on the mainline passenger
2 - 2-8-8-2 "Mallet" for the freight
4 - 0-8-0s for local switching runs
and tons of switchers

One thought, maybe we can expand this to all scales, more replies!

I'm evenly divided between SD40-2's & Dash 9's, with a ton of AC4400's & SD70M's to come.

Three Atlas GP38 (2 ATSF (to be WPRR), 1 WPRR (fmly BPRR))
Three Atlas GP40 (1 HLCX (fmly Amtrak), 1 BN, 1 SP)
One Atlas MP15DC (WPRR)

Just like you Rock, it's SD40-2s and GP38-2s for me. Both had such long production runs that it's possible to build several and have no two be the same. I have nowhere near as many as you, though. I think something like 9 SD40-2s and 6 or 7 GP38-2s.

All of the SD40-2s and two of the GP38-2s are being torn down and rebuilt, to represent as many possible variations in the prototypes I've chosen to model. The only trouble is that over time, as more and more detail parts are released, it's actually possible to take the models to a new level of detail, so older models become obsolete and don't fit in with the newest additions to the fleet. Hence, the rebuilding process and the small number of models I actually have...

MLW and ALCO. Very small fleet for the moment. Still waiting for a nice C-630/636

Hmmmm....

I like to buy different stuff, however, some engines are more favoured over others.

I have two "Erie builts" in UP and ATSF livery (P1k). These are fantastic runners and I love the bulldog architecture of them.

I am a big fan of FP/F-45s , mainly Santa Fe. I want to collect a fleet of them in ATSF livery (early red warbonnet versions). I am sure this was well past what railroaders consider "transition era" but like I said, if its my money---I take liberties!

I just ordered a Rivarossi FEF-3 mainline steamer, which will go nicely alongside the Erie builts. I am trying (very hard) to limit my purchases from now on to "transition era" stuff so I can place most of my stuff on the tracks at the same time!

I have a semi-modern SD45-2 in Southern Pacific livery--and this engine, which is soooo cool, will have another sister engine soon, also with DCC, but with the added digital sound for a double heading a late 20th century freight train. The engine is from Athearn RTR.

Last but not least, I have a modern F59PHI for commuter runs, but this was the "odd ball" purchase that doesn't fit in the era with most other stuff.

I am a big fan of FP/F-45s , mainly Santa Fe. I want to collect a fleet of them in ATSF livery (early red warbonnet versions). I am sure this was well past what railroaders consider "transition era" but like I said, if its my money---I take liberties!
Athearn will be offering these in their Genesis series. If you're not on the mailing list, sign up because an announcement regarding these is coming soon. Sign up here: http://www.athearn.com/Publications/Subscribe.aspx

Last but not least, I have a modern F59PHI for commuter runs, but this was the "odd ball" purchase that doesn't fit in the era with most other stuff.

I fell victim to buying outside my era, too, and own one of those in the TRE livery. I had already bought the four coaches that go with it, all of which are well past my modeling era, but I couldn't pass up a train decorated for the local transit line.

Last edited by a moderator:
The backbone of my C&HV fleet is 4 GP38-2s.We also roster 1 GP40-2,1 GP50,1 GP35M,1 SW1500 and 1 SW1000.We also lease 4 GP38-2s,2 SD40-2s and 2 SD40s.

These are the ones I'll eventually install decoders in:

1995 Era (CSX unless otherwise noted):
2 AC4400CW's
1 SD70MAC
1 CW40-8
1 C40-8
1 SD-50
3 SD-40's (1 Conrail, 1 Chessie, 1 CSX)
1 SD40-2
3 SD38-2's (Iron Belt)
1 GP-38
1 GP38-2
1 GP30
3 SW's (Erie Steel Corp.)
1 GE 44-tonner (Erie Steel Corp.)
1 road slug [Kato GP35 drive with a RPP GP35 shell]
1 GP40-2 (mate to the road slug)

1969 Era (B&O blue-and-yellow unless otherwise noted):
2 GP-9's
1 GP-7 w/DB (early C&O)
1 GP-7 non-DB
7 F7A's
1 F7B
2 E8A's
1 SW-1
1 Alco S-2
1 Alco S-4
1 SD-7
1 SD-40
1 GP-30

The B&O roster also includes various Front Range, Athearn BB, and old-style Atlas/Roco units that are earmarked for the "museum" (a.k.a. display cabinet)

I have yet to see anybody offer coaches decorated for my local commuter line - the MARC system (http://tinyurl.com/2xljwa)
That's interesting, because Atlas offered the AEM-7 years ago. I would have thought somebody would have them available by now.

The TRE set I bought was actually a very short lived model scheme, because the TRE actually took legal action against Athearn and forced them to stop offering the scheme. The Bombardier coaches and F59PHI decorated for TRE are therefore very hard to come by. It took me two years to find the complete set, so I feel your pain.

This is the diesel backbone fleet only - locos where more then one piece running. All locos are non - digital but i use a catenary and the old Trix EMS system on some engines so i´m able to run until four locomotives on the same track. Vehicle park include 13 steam engines, 47 electric locos, 45 diesels, 17 motorcoaches (interurbans - streetcars). I also drive mixed trains so a lashup leaded by two FM 24-66 and a chinese Df11 helping is nothing special cause my private railway corp. buyed its stock cheap from scrap places and dealers around the world......Some engines had been rebuild by my company so they have got more horsepower....

USA General Electric U - 36c / Co-Co, 3600 Hp, Atlas, Clinchfield 3604 A
USA General Electric U - 36c / Co-Co, 3600 Hp, Atlas, Clinchfield 3604 B

USA Fairbanks Morse H24-66 / Co-Co, 2400 Hp, Athearn, CNW
USA Fairbanks Morse H24-66 / Co-Co, 2400 Hp, Athearn, ex Southern, coloured SWB

USA Fairbanks Morse CPA 20-44 / Bo-Bo, 2000 Hp, Lifelike, PRR 9493
USA Fairbanks Morse CPA 20-44 / Bo-Bo, 2000 Hp, Lifelike, PRR 9452

Walthers Alco FA three piece lashup NYC.

Looks like this is degrading into a "whats my roster" thread.

What type of locomotive is the backbone of your loco fleet?? What type of loco do you roster most??
The backbone being the unit that without, the system wouldn't function well. Hmmmm. My model fleet is much more diverse than a real fleet would be. For my era it should probably be the GP7 or RS3, but I think it is really F3s. Of any single class locomotive, I believe my roster probably has most EMD FT units. In sets of AB, ABA, ABBB, and ABBA combinations.

Looks like this is degrading into a "whats my roster" thread.

And I'm always hesitant to go there, since I give a lat/long to my neighborhood in my signature. I don't want anyone getting any ideas about what's in my garage...:cool:

And I'm always hesitant to go there, since I give a lat/long to my neighborhood in my signature. I don't want anyone getting any ideas about what's in my garage...
hehehe, reading listings of fleets isn't as interesting either. I like threads like this if they can be kept on topic.

Back