Your camera ROCKS because...........

.39 inches seems unreasonable. Besides all the measurements given on the specs are metric.

MY guess is that in normal mode you will have a minimum focal range of somewhere between 12 and 18 inches. I'm just guessing because it is not listed. When you switch to macro mode, whatever that minimum was will be reduced by a factor of .39. So if it was 10 inches to start, it will now be 3.9 inches. This is a guess.

Uh, wrong Chip. That's .39" to 1.6' or 1 to 50 cm. in Macro Mode. 1.6' to infinity in Standard Mode. At least that is what it says.... Again the f values given are the maximum opening of the aperture not the minimum. However they don't give the minimum for the camera. They don't for any of them at the canon site that I can see. The minimum depends on the lens used. I doubt that you can change lenses and that is a drawback of any "point and shoot" camera.

Philip if you are looking for a "point and shoot" then this is a great camera (on paper at least). The next step up is an SLR. A bit more money, but well worth the difference if you can afford it. BTW the Fuji SLR was my second choice when I was looking for a new camera. It is also a great camera and deserves a look if you want to go to SLR. I still stand by my advise to go into a Camera Store and talk with people who really know the specs on the cameras and try out several cameras before you buy.

BTW the photos I showed before were shot in Standard Mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ray. Still it's hard to imagine a camera that focusses at 3/8". Without manual focus, pictures will be tough to take. At least that's the problem with my Fuji. I can get really tight, but the autofocus can have difficulties.

Thanks Ray. Still it's hard to imagine a camera that focusses at 3/8". Without manual focus, pictures will be tough to take. At least that's the problem with my Fuji. I can get really tight, but the autofocus can have difficulties.

Yeh, imagine trying to get a close up of, say, a wasp on its nest at .39"???? ;) But, that's what it says....... The rebel with the standard lens can get in to .9' on Macro setting. I was just over that with the close up photo of the Bandstand I posted in WPF. BTW, if I read the specs right, the Powershot A650 has a fully manual setting so that it should be able to be manually focused.

Ray,

My Fuji S5200 SLR says it has manual focus, but what that means is you use the motor on the camera (wide to tight control buttons) to control it. It is simply too gross to get the shot when doing extreme close-ups. I'm assuming the A650 uses the same mechanisms. The Fuji S1 and your camera use a true manual on the lens itself and we can make micro adjustments. All my iris photos are at work. I'll try to remember to post one when I get to work.

But for all intents and purposes if you take a picture that close of say, an N-scale figure. All that really comes out is the flaws in the paint. Acheiving a good focus at say 6 inches should be just fine with auto focus.

I think I'm starting to catch on.

Paul, those pics look great! I noticed on the second one that the back of the first unit and all of the second unit ae out of focus slightly. It works for that pic, but lets say I was taking that pic and didn't want that. If I undrstand correctly, I'd want to raise the f-stop number on the camera and that would go away, riht? The shuttr would be open longer, but the pic (assuming the camera was held still) would be clearer deeper into the shot.

Man! I've got a lot of reading to do!

That is correct about the f-stop. Larger number f-stop is a smaller opening in the lense and gives a greater depth of field. Ansel Adams belonged to a group called f-64 and you can see the sharpness he obtained (although I am sure there was more to it than that)

Paul,

Tha shot of SF 128 is one of my favorite model shots. I really like the bridge weathering.

Thanks, Chip, the bridge is weathered with a wash of Floquil made from red, yellow, green, black (I was out of rusty dirt color). Then I lightly airbrushed the same color over the wash to sort of blend it all together. At least I think that's what I did.

Ray

Here's an example. This is the 4 mp camera.

rightlateral.gif

Chip, cool shot. That was with the Fuji?

I don't know about the A650, but on the Rebel, Manual Focus means just that. You reach around and twist the ring with your hand like the old fashioned ones. The same is true for the zoom except that is always manual. On my old Kodak their was a push pull lever that controlled the zoom. PITA IMHO! For on the web, 4 MP is plenty of res. The only time I really like to have the 8 MP res of the Rebel is when I want to print 8 x 10 color glossies with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explainin' (sorry I was thinking of Alice there for a moment) and when I want to do some serious cropping to get the image inside the image that is great.

WOW, that was a flashback!

You weren't on the group W bench, were you?

Chip, thats pretty awesome close up detail!

WOW, that was a flashback!

You weren't on the group W bench, were you?

LOL Ain't it sad the kids today don't get that one? When I first started teaching, I would say something like that in class and the kids would roar!

Ray,

Yes that was the Fuji with 120mm and a 4x close-up ring.

If I had real money, like 10K, this is what I really need.

eyePIX6000big.jpg

I bought the Fuji S5200 because my photographer friend thought it would serve my needs. The "manual" focus keeps me from the accuracy I need. I works well for virtually everything else I need. Ray, recongnize that body?

Ray, recongnize that body?

Yeh, but that lens is way beyond my means! :eek: ;) :D

Philip, thanks for the link. When I was Camp Director for Camp Brule BSA way back in the 70's the nurse at camp had the entire song memorized and was an awesome guitarist. He used to sing it at the Wednesday night campfire near the end.

I used to sing and play Uneasy Rider by Charlie Danials Band (tag teamed with a friend sometimes too), but I never did get Alice's Resturant down.

Chip, that eyeball looks like something I saw in my passenger-side rear view mirror once...

Well guys, I promised I'd re-read the owners manual and I did, but I'm still not "getting it" - I went to Manual mode set the exposure time at 4000 (the maximum I think?) and tried different f-stop settings, but it always told me I was underexposed. Never could get capture a shot with it. So for the time being I'll just stick with Aperture Priority and let the camera takes its too-dark photos, and brighten them in Photoshop like I've been doing.

What I'll probably end up doing is trying to get somebody at Ritz to demonstrate for me how to use the settings - for a price if necessary.

BTW I don't think the Rebel has "macro mode" capability, I couldn't find it in the index.

What I'll probably end up doing is trying to get somebody at Ritz to demonstrate for me how to use the settings - for a price if necessary.

BTW I don't think the Rebel has "macro mode" capability, I couldn't find it in the index.

Sure it does, it is the little flower on the settings wheel. The two photos I am about to put in the WPF thread are taken in Macro Mode. Take a look.

Now, Ken, in Manual Mode, look at the back of the camera right above the timer button there is a button marked Av. Hold it down while you turn the wheel on top right behind the button you press to take the photo, you will see a mark moving on the LCD. It is the line to the left of the battery icon. It looks something like this: 2..1..!..1..2 Moving the ! to the right increases exposure and moving it to the left decreases exposure. It took me a long while to figure it out, but it is covered in the manual.

Ken, you're just a little bit ahead of me, so just know that I'm on your coat tails!

Now, I think I'll just sit back here and soak this all in again. Sometimes I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.....or is that the brightest crayon in the box? Whatever!

This thread is a bit more casual then most it seems, but thats cool. I've learned a bunch about cameras from everyone so far. It's a bit like trying to take a small sip from a fire hydrant though. These guys seem to know quite a bit more then they give themselves credit for!

Back