Yet another Rock Ridge & Train City & a Dilemma

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
Lately I've been trying to think of the Rock Ridge and Train City in terms of the basement layout. I intend to make the layout one that will be operated using train orders and car cards and follow prototypical operations as much as possible. Although I haven't figured out train orders, dispatching, etc. via telegraph yet. First The new plan.

rockridge18a.gif

rockridge18m.gif

Besides the obvious difference of the two oval helices and the lower deck staging, I have added switching of industry flats behind the yard and a caboose track, and a few minor differences.

The dilemma has to do with Rock Ridge and Train City in relation to the entire basement layout.

rockridgesch01.gif

(The Train City Staging becomes points north of Sacramento, eg. Shasta Branch, etc.)

Train City Yard becomes a hot spot for operations. All trains east or west have to stop for power change and icing of refers. Passenger trains also have to change power. The Train City Yard Master has also to build and break down locals and set-outs for Rock Ridge and Train City switching--so he's going to be one busy SOB.

In the mean time, There will be trains coming from both east and west to enter the yard. Meaning 2 more people. Add the guys running the locals and you have 3-4 people humping trains in that small little space. Either that, or trains stack-up on the main awaiting for permission to enter the yard.

It's going to be really busy and really tight.

Chip,

I see you eliminated the need for a bridge/duckunder - what an excellent first step! (Sure wish I had the space to do the same with mine without ripping everything apart and redesigning/rebuilding...)

As for op sessions...you got Digitrax, right? If more than 2 people (yerself included) will be operating, I'd recommend either investing in a UR-91 (if you have a Chief or Empire Builder system) or plenty of throttle panels, arranged in such a way that the operators don't get tangled in each others' tether cables.

... All trains east or west have to stop for power change and icing of refers. Passenger trains also have to change power. ...
I'd wait until your first op session - when you can see how easy or difficult it is for more than one operator to simultaneously work the TC yard - before making those swapout rules permanent. Maybe plan on an additional trackside water tower and woodpile on the mainline so that locos won't always need to be switched out? [Your ice platform is already there so that won't be an issue]

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip,

I see you eliminated the need for a bridge/duckunder - what an excellent first step! (Sure wish I had the space to do the same with mine without ripping everything apart and redesigning/rebuilding...)

As for op sessions...you got Digitrax, right? If more than 2 people (yerself included) will be operating, I'd recommend either investing in a UR-91 (if you have a Chief or Empire Builder system) or plenty of throttle panels, arranged in such a way that the operators don't get tangled in each others' tether cables.

A D-trax man for a week and already giving advice. :D :D Actually, Radio is going to be a necessity. I have a Dt400 and a UT4 that I will convert. I have a UT1 which will probably be permanently tethered to the Rock Ridge Climax A switcher. A person working there should not interfere with the TC crew.

I'd wait until your first op session - when you can see how easy or difficult it is for more than one operator to simultaneously work the TC yard - before making those swapout rules permanent. Maybe plan on an additional trackside water tower and woodpile on the mainline so that locos won't always need to be switched out? [Your ice platform is already there so that won't be an issue]

In terms of the "larger plan" Train City is right in the position where engines would be doubled up to make the trek over the Sierras. Also, the trains would have changed engines every couple hours anyway. With the smaller layout, it will probably be mostly my son and me operating. We will only do the pace we can handle.

Chip, interesting looking layout plan you've got going. Still no continuous running, but... If you placed the "last" industry (#9 or #10) across the tracks and against a hill, you can use it to hide a return loop, though that would force the entry track to be slightly higher. Thats the way I ended up planning it for my dad's, so he can just set it running and watch.

Chip, interesting looking layout plan you've got going. Still no continuous running, but... If you placed the "last" industry (#9 or #10) across the tracks and against a hill, you can use it to hide a return loop, though that would force the entry track to be slightly higher. Thats the way I ended up planning it for my dad's, so he can just set it running and watch.

Thanks Josh,

There is continous running through staging.

Man Chip that is an awesome looking layout, and I like the idea of the helix. Can't wait to see pictures of it.

If......

Very good plan Chip!! much better! and I like the staging( lower deck!!)
He, he, he IF we both know, before I/ we started to make a plan for your layout, that we could use the space under the layout to make staging, how would the plan look like, nowaday....???:D ;) lol

one question: Why do you plan the staging( yard) tracks , at the lower deck, so close to the walls. Isn't it more easier to make staging at the front of your layout so acces is much better...even with so many turnouts....
( Murphy's law!);)

Jos

Very good plan Chip!! much better! and I like the staging( lower deck!!)
He, he, he IF we both know, before I/ we started to make a plan for your layout, that we could use the space under the layout to make staging, how would the plan look like, nowaday....???:D ;) lol

That's my fault. I told you not to.

one question: Why do you plan the staging( yard) tracks , at the lower deck, so close to the walls. Isn't it more easier to make staging at the front of your layout so acces is much better...even with so many turnouts....
( Murphy's law!);)

Jos

I have to get them under the canyon.

Hi Chip,
have to get them under the canyon
Why don't you make this canyon not the other way around..so at the front is the highest point and to the bacckdrop its goes steep "to the floor... Also the trestle can be /must be built bigger/higher!! And with a good painted backdrop: a little bit foggy mornin scene( for your wife that's a piece of cake..) you'll have a very good eyecatcher/scene.
I know it is against the mrr rules but sometimes....

Jos

With that much action in the yard it seems a few minor modifications could make it much more flexible. It would require some fancier trackwork (at least one three way and two double slips as drawn). Share the industrial lead track as a locomotive excape track. Make a ladder bypass, that can also reach the roundhouse. Any or all of the three tracks with the curved leads coming in could be used for arrival/departure tracks. The yard could be worked using either of the two curved tracks to the right as a yard lead, and just eyeballing it seems to only cost a capacity of 4 cars.
spacemouseyardmodified.jpg

I think even more could be done if the industrial turnouts were also re-arranged.

With that much action in the yard it seems a few minor modifications could make it much more flexible. It would require some fancier trackwork (at least one three way and two double slips as drawn). Share the industrial lead track as a locomotive excape track. Make a ladder bypass, that can also reach the roundhouse. Any or all of the three tracks with the curved leads coming in could be used for arrival/departure tracks. The yard could be worked using either of the two curved tracks to the right as a yard lead, and just eyeballing it seems to only cost a capacity of 4 cars.
spacemouseyardmodified.jpg

I think even more could be done if the industrial turnouts were also re-arranged.

I came to the same opinion, only a slightly different solution. I like a lot of what you've done. I had one of the double slips the same as you, one a little different. Don't know when I'll post the changes.

joking?

Yeah, and I could out a mirror on the ceiling so I could see the train go over the trestle.
Are you joking, Chip??:confused:
I'm not:(
Or is it just "out of the question"...

Jos

( Murphy's law!);)

Jos

Dang it Jos, you're right. I can't picture living with staging under the layout like that. Especially since I'll have to wade between the rows of books to get to the tracks.

I need a better staging solution.

that's why...

Hi Chip,
I can't picture living with staging under the layout like that. Especially since I'll have to wade between the rows of books to get to the tracks.
That's why I suggest what I wrote in # 10 and you don't need a mirror to watch/see the trestle if you make/model the scene carefuly!( I Know it is not easy! )
I'ma little bit afraid to ask;) : shall I make a sketch/ rough drawing of it,how it COULD look like....

Jos,

I admit I'm curious, but I think I am just going to get the staging out of there. I remember how much I hated hidden track on my last layout.

Maybe a rough sketch...

Here's an update on the industry tracks near the yard. Notice the staging on the loop--both helices are gone and a single track (no turnouts) runs under the layout. I can stage 8 trains as opposed to the 12 I could have staged under the layout.

rockridge19f.gif

rough drawing

here it is Chip...

and staging in "the other room" is much better!
Had a look at your very first design...what a difference!:)

Jos

Back