Yet another layout starting

Well I managed a coat of paint between my other many chores last night.
It’s starting to look like a train room!

E2D4BA90-4982-462C-B673-3983FF0100BE.jpeg

I had time to dig thru some boxes last night and thought I’d mock up where the oil seed plant will go.
The challenge will be fitting it and the tank loading area
70564E5B-6B1D-4AE3-900C-3EC0BB304880.jpeg
into a 20” wide section and stay away from all flat terrain.
I think I have it figured out, where’s my jigsaw...

Man you guys and all this room to move around in. Makes me jealous wish I had room to build a nice layout. All I have room for is a 4x8 and it's not what I want. after getting it all laid out and started building it. Just boring now and I want to take it down and say the heck with it.

Jerome I’ll be doing that with pretty much all my industries too, only way to fit everything in without looking to crammed in. Can’t wait to get the paper mill back up!

Geo65 I can relate to the space thing, took years to get here.
Maybe just start small then expand later to keep it going.
A friend just tore down his basement layout and is doing a shelf layout, I’d do the same when the time comes.

George, I have hardboard panels that will go against the wall. Mountain on one level and rolling plains on another.

Last edited:
Man you guys and all this room to move around in. Makes me jealous wish I had room to build a nice layout. All I have room for is a 4x8 and it's not what I want. after getting it all laid out and started building it. Just boring now and I want to take it down and say the heck with it.

What gauge are you running and what type of equipment? You can still do a lot with that space. Use it for experimenting with modeling and such. Once I get my track relaid (I made a serious change in my layout over the weekend) in the same spot, I'll start my building and modeling along the route.

Oh and welcome to the site If I hadn't said so before.

I'm building a switching layout that is 2x9 feet. I plan to incorporate it into a larger layout later. If you have room for a 4x8 layout, maybe you can do something along the line of this: http://hogrr.blogspot.com/ After all, a 4x8 actually requires a space of 8x12 if you allow for a space of two feet all around it for reach. There are also lots of switching layouts on Youtube that may give you ideas for something that will be more interesting for you.

Well I finally had some time to start thinking about the helix.
I cut this base from a five by five plywood sheet and had the brackets laser cut for the threaded rod supports.
The outer track radius will be around twenty nine inches and the inner somewhere around twenty seven, depending on clearances. Incorporating a helix into the track plan is the only way to fit the old layout sections into the given space.

C59E7853-134B-4A6F-96DE-CE3E907FC51B.jpeg

Well I finally managed to get the ceiling done, well sort of.
The lesson learned... don’t try to use different brands of ceiling bits together.
Still trying to decide if I’ll keep the lower staging or just incorporate it into another level.
The LED,s light up the floor nicely, the layout itself will have valance lighting.
D922A492-286C-4453-B97C-3EFF07069338.jpeg

Back