Yet another layout starting

Rico

BN Modeller
Well hot on the heels of Jeromes building thread (grin) I’ve started constructing a new “chamber of the sacred rails”.
The original room was roughly ten by ten, I’ve about doubled the length. I’ll post progress as it happens.
Here’s the room with the wall taken out, you can see where it was framed.

805979E6-4690-4066-A690-C66B22B96943.jpeg

Last edited:
Managed to get a couple of the walls into primer and get a couple brackets up temporarily.

2D1296D8-F5F1-437F-98A1-C61833608640.jpeg

I’m planning on a two level around the walls layout with staging on a third lower level.
In order to get the length of run I’m hoping for a helix will be necessary, and likely a duck under as well. Two things I sort of wanted to avoid but will be required to fit the four scenes I want to model.

Jerome, yeah those are sections of my last ill fated layout, going to try to modify them for the next.
I contemplated a “nolix” instead of a helix but that would require the entire layout to have a grade.
Patric, I hear ya on the duckunder! The bottom level will have a swing bridge or some such mechanism, the second level will be high enough to roll under on a chair.

Basically a nolix is a way of getting from one level to another without the use of a helix, usually a long grade around the walls either hidden or in sight.
A nolix is easy to model if you’re doing mountainous terrain but trickier in a prairie scene.
I think John Armstrong coined the phrase and named a town Nolix.

Rick, OK understood. It is how I was thinking to get to my hidden staging below, and a smaller 18" shelf layout above the main one. I have 1 wall with a 25' run. My only problem is that I am doing Illinois/Indiana flat lands. I will have to be creative with building flats and backdrops.

Rick,

You are off to a great start on that room! I too am looking to do a nolix I may have to accomplish this with a second room though. Currently the room I am working with is 15 x 10 and I may poke a hole through the wall into another room to get up to next level. Not sure yet how I am going to address this just yet but I have been drawing plans and reworking them. I actually want to avoid doing a helix. I am working on my 5th revision lol.

James

James, now when you say “Not sure yet how I am going to address this“ do you mean carry out the plan or explain it to the Mrs?
LoL been there done that!
LOL I have no Mrs. or significant other at the moment. I have been divorced for 11 years now and no kids ....so carrying out my plan is what I need to do lol. I was in a short relationship 9 months ago which didn't work out. So this o'l hound dog is just slowing down on the hunting and just taking it easy. Fishing, fly fishing, hunting, shooting, MRR, scuba diving, boating, sky diving, home improvements on my 4 bedroom house with 2 car garage soon to be 3 car garage with extension (3rd bay to be 20x60 with 2nd level for train room :) and the existing 2 bays will be extended up for 2nd level as well, to be the same height as my 2 story house), traveling and a little gardening with my John Deere 205R 2 series compact tractor lol. Them are my hobbies that keep me preoccupied.

James

Back