anim_coffee.png
anim_snoopy.png
1.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
Diner.png
menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png

:)

Good morning. It's 28° and cloudy with a 10% chance of snow. The high will be 41° and variably cloudy.

Today's task is to clear the clutter off the layout as I didn't get it done yesterday. Maybe I'll just bring a trash can in and clear the clutter off into it as it mostly consists of stuff I no longer use and just keeps getting in the way. I can't imagine anyone wanting this stuff and I couldn't afford to send it off even if they did. Much of it consists of pieces of old structure kits and freight cars of assorted types that were used as parts sources for other cars. The rest is just assorted junk of one kind or other.

Well, so far today it has sucked here. I am on my third day without a smoke and even with the snus I still go through some days that are pretty bad with withdrawls. I am going to go down tonight and work on my layout no matter what. I had to take it down temporarily and now it's going back up. I'll just have to cover everything when I am sanding. I've got a perfect place for where your tipple goes Jeffrey. I hope you get to feeling better too Jeff, it sucks to be down with out having any way to move around. Well, TIme to get my preschooler off the bus. Have fun guys!

Fellas;

I just got a double dose of some sad news, Glenn Samuel's (WC&WBrasshat), Father passed away Sunday night, and one of the ARG's members mother passed away last night.

My prayers and deepest sympathies goes out to both of these fine men.

I just hauled out a large trash can full of stuff that had been cluttering up the layout and the shelves above it. Bits and pieces of plastic, old freight cars that can't be saved, old structures that were beyond repair including an old two story police station that I'd had for many, many years. And when I say 'can't be saved' and 'beyond repair' I mean just that. Some MIGHT be made serviceable with a lot of work but it would be twenty or thirty times easier to just get new ones. I also pulled out my Athearn heavyweight cars that I repainted for the Midland Gulf Railway, dusted them off then put them back in the cabinet. These are rarely used but when they are used they're pulled by a Mehano 2-10-2 as the MGRy tourist train. I also dug out an old 60's or 70's era Athearn dummy F7-B that I had rebuilt to serviceable condition. It still has the old plastic Athearn three piece trucks that are quite rare today. I did however refit them with the old metal wheels from an 80's era F7. I don't remember what road name it is. It's black with silver screens along the top and a red stripe at the bottom. It may be old Lionel HO but I'm not sure. It makes an excellent service shop queen. Maybe someday I'll fit the body to a powered Athearn or Proto chassis but not today. Right now my legs and back ache too much.

When I headed out to work this morning the temp was -9. On the way home just a short while it was 11 above. We're having a heat wave a tropical heat wave NOT!!!! It is colder than a well digger arse. It is so cold, How cold is it?????? it is cold enough that the words are not fit for a family type forum. LOL LOL LOL

Evidently, I am not the only one with fingers too cold to type on the computer.

Snow and cold weather... go away!!!!!!!!!
Ahhh, The hot soup is ready.

Stay warm!!

Been doing some searching online and it looks as if my old F7-B is definitely an Athearn dummy unit from the Hi-F era. It's a Southern Pacific Black Widow, #8220. It still has the original three piece trucks though three of the four plastic wheelsets have been changed out with metal ones from an Athearn GP30. The ladders are all intact and there are no cracks in the shell. The couplers have been changed out with Kadee #5's.

Fellas;

I just got a double dose of some sad news, Glenn Samuel's (WC&WBrasshat), Father passed away Sunday night, and one of the ARG's members mother passed away last night.

A BIG Ditto here!:(

Fellas;

My condolences. That's sad news all around.

Good morning. It's 22° and clear. The high will be 52° and sunny.

Unless I'm interrupted the plan today is to get more stuff off of the layout. There are several dozen vehicles and a bunch of small loose detail pieces to be collected and put away for now. I wouldn't want to break or lose any of them while I'm working on the layout. As an early morning project today I got the Athearn F7-B Hi-F body fitted to a modern powered Athearn chassis. It took a little drilling and a little filing but it ended up being a snap fit. Unfortunately I did break one of the end ladders in the process. The chassis is the one I fitted with AAR trucks and it stands out rather well. After all, how many F7-B's have those type of trucks. In the two photos below you can easily tell the Hi-F chassis from the modern one.

P1011382-2.jpg

P1011383.jpg

Good morning. I got back from my trek at 3 am. The funeral was as good as a funeral can be expected to be, there were no fistfights between family members, and no one got in an accident getting there (I'll know later today if the same is the case for the return trips). My family is one of those rare ones that believes if somebody causes a problem, it gets taken care of quietly and right away. Of course, we are all at or nearing retirement age, so most arguments would center around things like the effectiveness of Geritol...:p I did pick up a bug of some kind, either cold or flu. I don't feel that great, my throat is sore, and I feel like I have a slight fever. Low for yesterday was -1.
I stopped by English's hobby shop on my way home. They are having a huge blow-out sale on some of their older assembled HO (and some N) kits. The HO stuff was almost all $5 a car, complete with trucks and couplers.
Here's a photo of two of my cousins, along with several grand-and great-grandchildren:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon folks.

It's snowing right now, but it is almost thirty degrees. The snow is suppose to be just a trace amount and then on to highs in the upper thirties the rest of the week! Hopefully some of the six to eight foot snow banks will melt a little. Last year they melted all in one shot in April which lead to massive flooding. A nice melt for a few days, then a refreeze would be best.

Yesterday I broke out the Silflor and started to edge my roads with grassy weeds. I love the look of the stuff but boy is it expensive. I think I'll have a enough for most of what I want to do but I'll have to order more later in the project. It's nice to have some varying textures to the layout instead of all ground foam. I hope to continue work on the layout after work today.

Have a good day everyone.

Carey and all the ARG'ers. Sorry to hear the sad news, thoughts and prayers from the cold side of the pond guy's

Looking forward to March, got my trauma care coarse, but next week we are training with 20 new paramedics doing road traffic collision based scenarios for the day.

And the logs are now cut up and split for next winter, that was a busy few weeks work

Today I received two Stewart/Kato U25B's from a friend. One is in fine working order. The other was in ill health. It had a dead motor and a Proto 2000 motor I had laying around wasn't going to work in it. So after a little head scratching and a little measuring I got together the parts I would need. Now I almost have the dead U25B ready to go. You wouldn't recognize the drive line if you saw it. The body and frame are Stewart, the motor, shafts and worms are Athearn, the trucks are Proto 2000 AAR trucks from an old FA. I still have the wiring to handle and a Bachmann decoder will be going into it (also laying around). I couldn't believe how easily the Athearn motor mounts went into the frame. The mounts and the motor just dropped right in as if the frame had been made for them. The same with the trucks. I didn't have to change anything to mount the Proto 2000 trucks. Why change them? The Kato trucks proved to be incompatible with the Athearn worms. The trucks just popped right in. The only thing I had to change was one drive shaft. It was a bit short so I cut the end off it, pulled the coupling off the worm shaft and joined the two shafts with a flexible piece of heat shrink tubing with a drop of super glue gel in each end. A lit match did the trick for shrinking the tubing. When I finish the only outward appearance that something had been changed will be the trucks and if you're not looking close they'll sneak right past you.

Been a LONG time since that Hee Haw show.

I got the Stewart/Athearn/Proto 2000 kitbashed Conrail U25B done finally. It tested well on DC then went back to the shop for a decoder. It's been programmed and test run with no problems. Now I know I have another Bachmann decoder laying around here somewhere that can go in the P&LE Stewart/Kato U25B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back