Yard Sale Find

tillerman

retired and lovin it.
Found this old Revell kit at a yard sale on Saturday 3-29-09
paid .50 for the shootin match,I'm thinking of incorporating this with the grusome caket co kit and transforming it into a steel fab shop.Hopefully..
So here are some shots of the shell as I bought it,just gave it a bath to remove all the old decals.

Mike:D

Originally issued under the title of "Superior Bakery" ages ago, this kit probably served as kitbashing fodder in more MR and RMC articles than any other I can name. Some of its incarnations were really impressive.

NYW&B

It was also used by Revell for the Weekly Herald and the two stall engine house. To this day, that model still has some of the nicest molded brick detail of any model I've seen. As you said, I bet this basic building has been kitbashed into more different things than any other kit in history. Original kits are rare as hens teeth. I've been trying to find a shrinkwrapped Weekly Herald for two years and the last one I saw went on e-bay for $97.00! :eek:

Dont you love a bargin?? Last year I found 2 Kibri bulding kits last year for 50 cents each! Still in box complete! One was a factory and other was a home with a blacksmith shop attached...I wish yard sales placed a TRAINS HERE! sign out so I could bypass the ones that are trying to sell 6 Tupperware lids that were melted together in a dishwasher for a nickel.(even tho that's a bargin too!!)LOL

Boy, ain't that the truth, Bob. I've spent more time at yard sales looking melted tupperware and kiddie books than I ever have looking at anything that even resembled something I could use on the layout.

There was an original Revell kit at a train show a few weeks ago. If I remember correctly it was a small shed with a short platform or something along that type. End of the box was printed 98 from Revell, meaning of course 98 cents. The vendor was asking $6, a fair price considering all. Simple kits by today's standards but as you guys point out the molded detail still stands the test of time.

Besides the tupperware lids none of the clothes are my size. :mad: Either big enough to be a 2 man tent or outgrown baby clothes. And have you ever seen so many chip & dip trays or cheese boards??? Might be good for mixing scenery plaster and cutting foam board. :D

LOL, Mike. What I always see are those Ronco slice and dice gizmos. :) I sure do miss those Revell kits. They were the bomb in their day and still look darned good today.

We were at an antique show & sale yesterday in the city and found some unopened HO kits by Revell and Lindburg (?). I had to leave them behind as they were at collectors prices not builders prices. Wish I'd hung onto all my old kits from years gone by!

We were at an antique show & sale yesterday in the city and found some unopened HO kits by Revell and Lindburg (?). I had to leave them behind as they were at collectors prices not builders prices. Wish I'd hung onto all my old kits from years gone by!

Back in the '70's, Lindberg offered some HO size model trucks and cars. They were between scale models and toys as far as quality, but the prices were great. I paid $.10 for an F600 box truck model.

Yard sale find ready to put on pike

Here is the finished project,combined the yard sale find with IHC's grusome casket kit,loading dock area with the project,and this is what I managed.
Mike

Nice kitbash from two calssic old buildings.

Lindberg also offered some really nice sprung trucks at the then astounding price of 69 cents a pair. :eek: The company made some nice stuff back in the days when RTR was almost unknown. Their vehicle line, although not as detailed as today's models, would still look pretty good on a modern layout. They are still in business today making plastic kits but got out model railroads decades ago.

In place

Well here is the finished project,installed a couple of lights,and the arc welding setup inside the shop,placed some scrap peices around the front and wala,Fab shop in business.
As alway's thanks for looking.
Mike

Very nice paint and weathering on that kitbash indeed. If I could make one suggestion, it would be to paint the base of the casket company part to match the paint color of the paking lot. That lighter plastic base just doesn't go well with the rest of the kitbash.

Back