Yard Design - Help

monkeys

I've constructed the outside loops and laid out a yard lead track, but have yet to lay any yard tracks at all, as I think my design can be improved. I'm modeling a loosely modern freelance prototype. I was thinking I could add some more engine tracks in the space. The layout is 10x5 feet, with a 2x4 offset center. Can anyone help me redesign this?
layout.PNG

Yes, this could stand a bit of improvement, but your starting point is actually pretty solid.

A "yard lead" is a bit different to "a track which leads into a yard" (aka: from off the mainline), which is what you actually have here.
A yard lead is actually a (usually, but not always, stub ended) track from which the yard can be switched or worked independent of whatever is happening out on the mainline. You do not actually have one here (yet), but your plan allows for adding one.

You have a track coming off the curved turnout/switch into your yard--the tighter of the two routes. So far, so good. But this is what would properly be called "a track leading off the mainline into a yard."

You also have a section of curved track after the entry turnout, and leading into the yard, and here is where you add the second turnout.

What you want to add is another curved turnout in this second section, but oriented in reverse, to add a third track to the inside of the first two mainline tracks--but running AWAY from the yard, and thus lying inside the two outer mainline tracks. That third track is what would be the "yard lead."

Unless your curve radii are really tight, you can probably add a lead track here, although you might have to use flex track (don't let that scare you).

The biggest potential problem you have here isn't related to the yard at all (which is otherwise ok. See BigGRacings photos up above.
The biggest problem you have with this plan is the double reverse curve at your lower right corner, due to proximity of the double crossover turnout/switch to the curve at the right end.

Easily solved. Move the double crossover further left, so that the third curve is not a complication.

===================

"What the he** is he talking about?" might be your question about right about now, so let me clear it up (I hope!).

Circling around the right end (clockwise running)...and on the INNER track...you face (assuming the double crossover is set to the converging route, aka left), you are completing a right turn (coming off the big curve), then are suddenly going the other way, to the left...and then back to the right, moving to the outer loop.
Walk this through carefully if it's not immediately clear, as the "crossover" is pretty much taken for granted to work reliably...and it will.

But a crossover is still a reverse curve. First one way, then the other.

Combine that with another (or third) reverse curve as you have done here is begging for problems. But, as I said, pretty easily solved.

"What third curve is this?" Walk it through slowly. You are turning to the right running the inner loop clockwise...then suddenly turning left as you enter the crossover when it's diverging...and then right again as the crossover moves back to the right.

Three curves.

ANY crossover, even something as simple as a switch at the end of a passing siding, is a reverse curve. A double curve. The track moves one way, then the other. This works because there is usually a straight (tangent) track in between the reverse curves.

Double curves...reverse curves on this scale are normal. But when you add the third curve...meh. That's when things start to..............."go off the rails." :D

Last edited:
Some questions for you to think about concerning your yard. Not trying to be mean or critical, just some things to ponder about your yard. The answers to these questions should drive how you design your yard.

What do you want the yard to do? How are you going to use it?

Is it just someplace to put cars? Is it someplace to hold a train until you want to swap out trains?

You don't appear to have any industry tracks and you don't have any runaround. How do you envision switching this yard? How do you envision bringing a train into the yard or getting a train out of the yard?

A yard to hold trains works best with a lot of double ended tracks. A yard to classify cars works best with a switching lead separate from the main. A yard that runs trains in both directions or originates or terminates trains works best if it has a runaround.

Lots of considerations.

Based on what I’ve learned about yards, I would say that it should be designed to be functional while considering the minimum number of tracks required to serve the railroads purpose.

Dave1905 has asked some good questions. I’d think about what the purpose is of your railroad, who are your customers (if any) and what is the minimum requirements needed (trackwise) to service their needs.

Just some food for thought:)

You have what is known as a yard throat at right. If you were to employ a double-slip turnout there, just to the right, you could have the upper right exit of the DS turnout as your switching lead. It could curve parallel to the mains nearby of necessity, but if only a switching engine and smaller cars were working there, you could have 18" curves or a bit less.

Firstly: Only trains running counterclockwise can successfully work the yard as clockwise running will trap the engine at end of each track, in front of the cars it pullis in..(unless you introduce a runaround track in the yard)..
Next: You can eliminate the upper left and lower right switches (as well as the crossing) in the double crossover and still accomplish the same thing with a single crossover, employing one backup move in the procedure when returning to one of the ovals train had left.
Next: Instead of having the yard, utilize the switches instead for spurs coming off the main to industries inside and outside the oval...
Finally: You may also want to depict an interchange; a track leading off edge of bench which allows you to 'exchange' cars with other RRs..

In closing, if you only have this double oval and the yard you have nothing to justify its existence; the industries the RR does business with, IE. tanks to a syrup Co, box cars to a sewing machine Co., flats to a lumber yard, hoppers to a grain dealer, an engine house, et al..

You ask for a 'redesign'..This is partially how I would redesign it.
;) Good luck in all your decisions....

Last edited:
Yard looks ok, although there's no runaround track.
Hmmm....
If you didn't use the double crossover, but instead single crossovers at each end of the two main tracks on the bottom, you could have "a runaround" that way...

You need a few industries for the yarded cars to go to. Located "up above" as we look at your track plan.

Back